How Often Do You Decide to Change Modes and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
I've been using the Ike D200 housing for a while. Overall I'm happy with it. I think some of the alum housings have better ergonomics, but they are a LOT more expensive.

All the controls on the Ike housing work well with one exception. The on/off control is difficult to get set correctly so it functions easily. I bypass that by just turning on the camera when I put it in the housing. One can leave the camera on all day without battery issues.

Another thing to watch for is if you are changing modes, Exposure compensation, qual, ISO,or WB make sure the button that activates the control is not left depressed on the control. If it is, the camera functions, but one can not use the LCD to review histogram or images. This can be frustrating if one is not aware of the problem as it appears something is wrong. One needs to just move the control so it is not depressing the buttons on the camera. You can try this without the housing to see what I am talking about. Press and hold down the mode button, and try to review an image on the LCD... nothing.

I don't have problems with the Ike controls grabbing and operating the camera controls at depth. Last summer however Howarde did have such an issue with a loaner housing I believe. I think he was unable to control the front wheel that would control the aperture in A or M mode. He was able to mess with it to get it to work. I think his new housing worked fine.

If you are having issues, I'd send it into Ike for a checkup.

For lens selection it's really tough. I'm considering the Sigma 17~70mm lens as it offers a good zoom range for everything from wider views to fish head shots, and it can do macro to a reasonable level. It maybe the best choice for an all around lens out there. I don't have that lens, so if I have to decide on macro, WA with the 12~24mm, or semi~wide to normal with the 18~35mm. Many pro's carry two camera's down, I know Stephen Frink sometimes carries three (or he has others help him carry three). That is one downside to the DSLR, you have to pick your glass before getting in the water, and then live with the decision.

I did my first photo assignment for someone else this weekend. It was weird - as I was shooting a class and an event - so I was using my 12-24 for all 3 dives. And I was just swimming past macro after macro.

I want to get something greater than my 12-24, but something less than my 60. Looking for a 40-ish. I can make the 60 behave like a semi-wide, but its tough if the water isn't really clear.

Whenever I dive the 12-24 or the 10.5, I'll usually strap on the Sony P&S for any macro I come across. But as I'm about to move to a D200 (still thinking about it) from my D70, I'm seriously, seriously considering keeping the D70. I sold my other D70 body last week, and I'm kicking myself - as picking up another D70 housing and cheap manual strobes for macro would be much cheaper than a D200 and housing...

OY.

The idea of carrying 2 cams totally appeals to me, as it kills me to get caught with the wrong glass down there.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Whenever I dive the 12-24 or the 10.5, I'll usually strap on the Sony P&S for any macro I come across. But as I'm about to move to a D200 (still thinking about it) from my D70, I'm seriously, seriously considering keeping the D70. I sold my other D70 body last week, and I'm kicking myself - as picking up another D70 housing and cheap manual strobes for macro would be much cheaper than a D200 and housing...

You won't regret the D200 Ken. I promise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom