How often do you abort dives and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've aborted 2 dives because sharks were going to eat me. :) I don't count bad viz as aborting a dive. I'd say it's a crappy dive and there's no reason to stay down if I can't see two feet in front of me.

@Dogbowl, those are pretty minor things to abort a dive. But if you felt the need to abort, then obviously do it and don't worry about what anyone thinks.

I do think you need to work on your diving mindset as it sounds like you may be a little prone to panic.

You couldn't clear up (flood & flush) the mask underwater?

I was able to in my confined water dives and open water check out dives. I didn't find it difficult nor scary. Although I've never done so on a regular dive. Perhaps I should practice it.

I "knew" that I needed to flood and flush my mask and I remember "thinking" about it, but all of a sudden, fear took a hold of me and I was unable to perform that task. All I knew was I needed to get out of there. And I made the appropriate signals to get out of there. I guess it's like when something happens and although you know what you need to do, you can't do it cause you just freeze. Hard to explain. According to the DM, I looked calm to him. Go figure!

I do think you need to work on your diving mindset as it sounds like you may be a little prone to panic.

I do agree with this. I wonder if I'm so afraid of panicking and the consequences that I prematurely abort dives. For example, in aborted dive #1, if I was able to calmly signal to the DM that I needed to surface, why couldn't I channel that energy to flood and flush my mask?

I'm just hoping this will pass as I gain more experience and therefore, confidence.

not very often, 2 out of 900.

one was called 5 minutes in due to excessive current. neither of us was having fun, so we thumbed it while still on the anchor line.

the other was called an hour before the dive. this was on a lob. my dive buddy felt a little tired and so we had an afternoon nap instead of a dive. we both did the night dive.

If aborted is defined as coming up way before planned or not diving at all, I've done it hundreds of times. This is supposed to be fun. If you are not having "fun", then discontinue the activity.

I can probably more easily recall dives where I should have bailed (and things went south) rather than when I did bail on the dive.

Although this was for money and not recreational diving..I used to dive for golf balls with alligators and the guy who taught me was a little strange and said it was important to act mellow and above all send positive telepathic messages to the gators to let them know you are not a threat. He never got bit, nor did I but I could never channel my reptile telepathy.. so there were several times when I just got the feeling I should get out.. for absolutely no reason at all.. and I did.

If a new diver is uncomfortable and thinking of bailing on a dive (whether they are on the surface or on the bottom) it is better to end the dive activities in a safe manner rather than push the stress level until somebody is considering the option of bolting for the surface. Diving is too dangerous to push things past your personal comfort/fun level.

It is important however, to develop the skills and techniques that will allow you to handle situations that unexpectedly turn negative, but this takes time and experience and progressive exposure to the stressers. One thing that can help a new diver handle stress is knowing that they CAN bail on the dive, if and when they want. Going in with the thought that I can't bail on the dive is probably going to make the diver more nervous. Give yourself an out. Take it slow.

I don't remember ever aborting a dive but wouldn't hesitate to do so if I felt it was necessary. Although you may feel your rate is "ridiculously high", you are still learning at less than 25 dives. You should feel comfortable in the water. I learned that any diver can call a dive for any reason and at any time in the dive. Don't beat yourself up about it, everything improves with more experience. BTW, love your user name.

Thank you very much for everybody's thoughts. I carefully think about and analyze everything I do so this is very helpful.

However, it looks like divers don't abort dives as much as I do, so I will need to work on it.

BTW, love your user name.

Not sure if you're referring to mine, but I think yours is great too!

Aborted Dive #1: Middle of Puget Sound.

Fairly new diver (20 something dives), former instructor dive buddy wanted to dive from his boat for a high current dive in the middle of winter (lots of snow). I wasn't comfortable with it, not feeling well. Backed out and that former instructor never spoke to me again.

I use this example to my students of what makes a bad dive buddy.

Aborted Dive #2: Edmonds Underwater Park (shallow)

Did one dive with two other divers. Viz was so bad that even with lights, when we descended 10 feet apart, we lost each other, so I came back up and followed their bubbles. We skipped the second dive.

Aborted Dive #3: Keystone Jetty, Whidbey Island

Quite a surge due to southerly wind. Didn't feel like getting tossed around like I was in a washing machine.

I do agree with this. I wonder if I'm so afraid of panicking and the consequences that I prematurely abort dives. For example, in aborted dive #1, if I was able to calmly signal to the DM that I needed to surface, why couldn't I channel that energy to flood and flush my mask?

I'm just hoping this will pass as I gain more experience and therefore, confidence.

It will likely pass with more experience. I wouldn't put pressure on yourself, if you have to abort or call a dive for whatever reason, do it, but remember Stop, Breath, Think, Act.

To often people act before thinking. Going to the surface because of a foggy mask really shouldn't be a consideration. I'm sure if you thought about it you would have realized you could flush some water in you mask to clear the fog. You don't even need to flood the mask. An ounce of water and facing your head down and then clearing would have cured the problem allowing you to continue the dive.

I think new open water divers know the surface is always right up there, when they should be thinking how can I fix this problem right now down here.

I was able to in my confined water dives and open water check out dives. I didn't find it difficult nor scary. Although I've never done so on a regular dive. Perhaps I should practice it.

I "knew" that I needed to flood and flush my mask and I remember "thinking" about it, but all of a sudden, fear took a hold of me and I was unable to perform that task. All I knew was I needed to get out of there. And I made the appropriate signals to get out of there. I guess it's like when something happens and although you know what you need to do, you can't do it cause you just freeze. Hard to explain. According to the DM, I looked calm to him. Go figure!

I bet you will.

My 1st semi-panic attack was on my 1st sea dive (#9) in Cayman Brac, 11 years ago, on a boat dive in a group of 4. After everyone backrolled into the water, did the OK sign and thumb down to descend, everyone but me disappeared into the blue, left me behind bobbing on the surface. My heart went racing after looking into the black bottom sea and had to remove my reg and breathe normally to calm down myself until my dive buddy came back up to the surface with a puzzle look. By then, I managed to calm myself down. I then gave him an OK sign and we came down together. After that situation, the rest of the dive experience was a piece of cake.

2 out of 600+. Same reason both times: too much air coming out due to the 1st stage failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom