How often are you asked for C-card and/or dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recent query asked if people obtained signatures in their dive logs. I have all my training dives signed along with instructor number, other than that, no signatures. I collect stamps and stickers for my own amusement.

Other posters have brought up an interesting topic. In 12 years, 360 dives, I've nearly always (not always) been asked for a C-card but have never been asked for my dive log. I'd be interested in others experience with regard to requests to see their C-card and/or dive log

Good diving, Craig

same here - c-card needed when we get to the resort and are asked to fill in the waiver (cert # required)

logbook, afik, are more for proof of certification/ training/ experience if you don't have your card

of course ymmv (i'm bored...)

Jag

C card yes, logbook, never.

I get asked for a card fairly regularly - Mainly when checking in boat dives and sometimes when renting tanks in tropical locations (esp Cayman). I have had to fill out a short "dive history" form as part of the check in/waiver upon ocassion - again Cayman.

I cannot recall ever having been required to produce a log anywhere, and I've never been asked for a card or log in Hawaii.

A (somewhat) related question: How many of you carry a second c-card of the same level, just in case?

The majority of the charters I've been on have asked for c-cards (but not all). Some of the charters which provide Nitrox have asked for a Nitrox card (but not all). I've never been asked for a c-card just for a fill in a shop. I've often been asked to give the date of my last dive (and sometimes it's hard to remember whether it was two days ago, or three . . . ) but the only place I got asked for the actual log was in Australia. And nowadays, it would be hard to show it to them, because it's downloaded into my computer and doesn't exit in hard copy anywhere.

Almost never. I had a buddy bail on me on a charter in NC and when I asked the skipper if I could dive solo (the insta-buddy choices looked grim) he asked to see a solo card (which I always carry). Other than that, some caves require c-card for entry.

A (somewhat) related question: How many of you carry a second c-card of the same level, just in case?

There's certainly no reason not to have a duplicate c-card.

More often than not, you will have several c-cards of various levels anyway. If you lose your favorite, just use one of the others.

Richard

Been asked for the card several times - never the log book.

I'm always asked for my C-card by dive operators, even by folks that know me. Just the opposite on logs, never been asked. Most operators have asked me some about my dive experience, usually about my most recent dive, but they accept my word for it.

I use my Nitrox card as my backup C-card, though once I was surprised when I had to spend some time explaining that having a Nitrox card implied that I was at least OW. They finally bought it.

One comment for those folks who claim that the LDS does a better job as gate keeper vs. mail order shops. I've never been asked to show a C-card when buying from an LDS, including those that don't know me from a gatepost, and regardless of my purchases, including tank fills.

Back
Top Bottom