How NAUI Intro to Tech Stacks Up against DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74:
I wanted to thank everyone for their openminded comments, both in the thread and in messages.

Chris Laughrey is the NAUI instructor that I am considering to take Intro to Tech under. He is local to the Pittsburgh area and came highly recommended to me. My other option is to take DIR-F under Bob Sherwood or Brandon Schwartz, both also highly recommended. I believe the direction I go will be based on each instructor's availability however what I like most about Chris is that I would most likely be under his instruction from beginning to end. Any which way I go, I am sure that I will receive quality instruction. I just want to make sure I receive the methods from the NAUI class that I have come to expect from reading on Scubaboard / Deco Stop and reading the fundies book.

I don't know any of the instructors personally, but all else equal I'd take the GUE version because at least I'd know it's the real thing and could then take further GUE courses. If you take the NAUI course, then make sure it includes the video feedback as that's essential to the course. Just my opinion.

"The real thing" ... compared to what? I know some seriously good NAUI tech instructors.

Look ... I realize this is the DIR forum and all, but the reality isn't always what some of y'all think it is.

I started my DIR-F class with Brandon ... and a year later I completed it with Joe.

Several of my dive buddies took Rec Triox with Bob in September 2005 ... and are still waiting for their re-eval. Word is they'll be finishing up with Gideon this upcoming October.

Yes, these guys are all really good instructors, but unless you've got years to wait around to get the re-eval and move on to the next class, you really need to consider what the availability of instruction happens to be. There are only a handful of GUE instructors, and they don't always come back to where you took your class ... or it might take a year or two for them to work it into the schedule.

Or, I suppose you can always just put some traveling money into your budget to go where the instructors are.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

wb416:
I could be wrong, but I think he's implying that if he continues past this first class, he could do the entire curriculumn with Chris since he teaches all the way through Trimix 2.

...I've been wrong before though... {shrug}

Exactly what I was saying. Sorry I am one of those computer guys, not the greatest communicator. They just stick us in dark cold basements and make us do database models and coding with little human contact :pcangry:

The nice thing about Chris is that he is local and he would be able to take me from the first babysteps of tech diving all the way to the end. I am still on the lookout and my mind is not going to be made up for another month or two since I'm not going to start this endeavor until early next year. That timeframe may seem a lot to some people but I am just the type that needs to plan things out. I have heard a lot of good things about Bob and Brandon and I am by no means ruling them out. I like to keep my options open, know as much as possible about my options and have no doubt in the end that I made the right choice.

I had a top rate OW teacher and have had some decent teachers in my classes past OW. For the most part I want a teacher that is both patient and challenging. As WB416 mentioned, I need to see if their teaching method matches with my learning style. That is the next step. It'd be nice if it was as easy as just inviting them over for a BBQ, give em a couple Guinness and get them talking.

King Kong Matt:
Ahh...that sounds logical, in which case I misunderstood what he was driving at.

No probs. Thanks for your input. Questioning what I'm saying helps me to make sure I'm asking the right questions. Unfortunately I do not personally know anyone that is DIR. I know a couple technical divers and I have some friends moving that direction at the same pace I am. Unfortunately I don't see eye to eye with my friends on their decisions for instructors or methods. I am sort of in this on my own. Any input is appreciated.

darylm74:
I wanted to thank everyone for their openminded comments, both in the thread and in messages.

Chris Laughrey is the NAUI instructor that I am considering to take Intro to Tech under. He is local to the Pittsburgh area and came highly recommended to me.

Chris is awesome. You won't regret that decision.

darylm74:
The nice thing about Chris is that he is local and he would be able to take me from the first babysteps of tech diving all the way to the end.

Having different instructors is a good thing. You'll get different perspectives, experiences and tips.

I have been reading this thread with interest. I worked on my technical training by taking PADI's Cavern course along side NACD's Intro Cave course. I continued my technical training by going through TDI's Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures and Extended Range. Many of the study materials and books / training merge with DIR. In fact many DIR instructors started off in other agencies...pioneering the training etc.

One can pick up many of the minimalist Hogarthian philosophies regarding equipment set up via TDI and a good instructor.

Many of the skill demands of DIR ought to be mastered whether DIR, NAUI or TDI. It gets down to how much time and energy the diver is willing to spend practicing and building up skills and knowledge.

Just my 02.

JimC:
Having different instructors is a good thing. You'll get different perspectives, experiences and tips.

Very good point and something for me to keep in mind.

I think one of the strengths of Fundies is that it is a class that focuses solely on basic skills. You're not trying to manage a stage (or even doubles, necessarily) or run line or do things in the dark. The class just presents the basics: Buoyancy and trim, non-silting kicks, air-sharing procedures, valve drills and SMB deployment. It teaches some basic gas management and an introduction to thinking about decompression. From what I've learned, it seems that these are the underpinnings of ANY technical training, and somebody who has them down is going to go into his first technical course ahead of the game.

Bob's concern about getting the checkout dives is a real one (I'm lucky, we have a resident GUE instructor in Seattle) but "passing" Fundies is only important if you are intending to do your further training with GUE. TAKING Fundies and mastering the skills is useful no matter what.

It wasn't an expensive course, but it was the best scuba instruction I've had yet.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom