How NAUI Intro to Tech Stacks Up against DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the process of finding a tech instructor and in e-mailing one I mentioned that I had the intention of taking the DIR-F to start off my move towards technical diving. He mentioned that he teaches the NAUI Intro to Tech and that he varies only a tiny bit from standard the DIR-F class. I also noticed that many of the NAUI Intro to Tech classes still uses JJ's book. I believe the NAUI class would be more flexible with respect to my schedule and so I have to give it some serious thought. I defintely want to go through a fundamentals class but if I can take the NAUI class and can get the quality instruction, would I really be missing something? I saw that there was a lot of discussion about the NAUI class awhile back but I wasn't sure if there was ever an informed opinion made. I would appreciate it if someone could give me an "informed and constructive" criticism, whether good or bad, of this program.

Thanks

Daryl

They're different classes, Intro to Tech and Fundies. Fundies is exactly what its name says it is -- fundamental skills. It's just buoyancy, proper trim, non-silting kicks, a proper air-sharing drill, and ascent procedures, all managed while maintaining acceptable awareness of your buddy and your situation. Fundies can be taken in a single tank or in doubles, although to progress with technical training with GUE, you must take it in doubles and pass at the "tech" level of skill.

Intro to Tech is more like a "Tech 1 lite" -- doubles, a stage, simulated failures and team coping skills. You are expected to have the Fundies-type skills before embarking on Intro to Tech, at least if you are going through the 5thD-X progression.

If you are interested in a DIR/NTEC type of technical training, you couldn't do wrong to take Fundies -- it would give you a reality check on your skill level and let you know if you are ready to move on to more challenges. On the other hand, a couple of dives with your prospective NTEC instructor could give you and him the same information.

Whatever you decide to take, consider that you would like to see your instructor more than once a year. One of the biggest aggravations I have with GUE training is that the instructor comes to town, you get a provisional, you work your butt off, and a year later you're still waiting to take your re-eval.

GUE training is wonderful ... but the initial course simply establishes what you need to learn. If the objective is to actually pass the course and move on to the next level, make sure you establish beforehand how often your GUE instructor plans on coming to town to work with you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

darylm74:
I also noticed that many of the NAUI Intro to Tech classes still uses JJ's book.

That doesn't sound _too_ surprising to me in a way... especially since I recall Tim O'leary (NAUI Tec) had a testimonial on the back cover of JJ's Fundies book, or considering the former GUE training director is with NAUI Tec now.

Depending on your goals, you shouldn't have a problem with either class enhancing your skill set.

I wanted to thank everyone for their openminded comments, both in the thread and in messages.

Chris Laughrey is the NAUI instructor that I am considering to take Intro to Tech under. He is local to the Pittsburgh area and came highly recommended to me. My other option is to take DIR-F under Bob Sherwood or Brandon Schwartz, both also highly recommended. I believe the direction I go will be based on each instructor's availability however what I like most about Chris is that I would most likely be under his instruction from beginning to end. Any which way I go, I am sure that I will receive quality instruction. I just want to make sure I receive the methods from the NAUI class that I have come to expect from reading on Scubaboard / Deco Stop and reading the fundies book.

darylm74:
...what I like most about Chris is that I would most likely be under his instruction from beginning to end...

Maybe I'm just confused by this statement and I am misunderstanding what you are getting at, but the entirety of DIR-F with Bob Sherwood was conducted with Bob Sherwood. There are videographers in the water with you, but they are not offering instruction...hell, they would rather have you not notice them at all as that is when they are most likely to capture the gems that will be replayed ad infinitum.

Bob is great. I can't recommend him or has class highly enough...really top notch guy that will change your diving and perhaps more importantly, change the way you think about diving.

Also, a summer trip to the St. Lawrence is a nice, nice dive trip...

Hope that helps. Dive safely,
-Matt

darylm74:
I wanted to thank everyone for their openminded comments, both in the thread and in messages.

Chris Laughrey is the NAUI instructor that I am considering to take Intro to Tech under. He is local to the Pittsburgh area and came highly recommended to me. My other option is to take DIR-F under Bob Sherwood or Brandon Schwartz, both also highly recommended. I believe the direction I go will be based on each instructor's availability however what I like most about Chris is that I would most likely be under his instruction from beginning to end. Any which way I go, I am sure that I will receive quality instruction. I just want to make sure I receive the methods from the NAUI class that I have come to expect from reading on Scubaboard / Deco Stop and reading the fundies book.

I've dove a lot with Brandon, and seen him conduct several classes... you can't lose with him. Great demeanor and cool as a cucumber under pressure (we took our Tech 1 class together)!

A good friend of mine took her heliox class with Chris L, and we're doing our Full Trimix class with him. I like his style also...

...as in all classes... recommendations are good... but ONE of the most important components is does their teaching style mesh with your learning style. When possible, I try to sit in on a class or at least attend a seminar, to assess that for myself.

King Kong Matt:
Maybe I'm just confused by this statement and I am misunderstanding what you are getting at, but the entirety of DIR-F with Bob Sherwood was conducted with Bob Sherwood. There are videographers in the water with you, but they are not offering instruction...hell, they would rather have you not notice them at all as that is when they are most likely to capture the gems that will be replayed ad infinitum.

Bob is great. I can't recommend him or has class highly enough...really top notch guy that will change your diving and perhaps more importantly, change the way you think about diving.

Also, a summer trip to the St. Lawrence is a nice, nice dive trip...

Hope that helps. Dive safely,
-Matt

I could be wrong, but I think he's implying that if he continues past this first class, he could do the entire curriculumn with Chris since he teaches all the way through Trimix 2.

...I've been wrong before though... {shrug}

wb416:
I could be wrong, but I think he's implying that if he continues past this first class, he could do the entire curriculumn with Chris since he teaches all the way through Trimix 2.

...I've been wrong before though... {shrug}

Ahh...that sounds logical, in which case I misunderstood what he was driving at.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom