How my ear infection was fixed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeilK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I dived 5 days in Bali. My right ear was just a little sore afterwards. I got some sofradex ear drops (steroids and anti biotics). Over the next days it got a lot worse. I was waking up at 4am with terrible ear ache and jaw pain. I had trouble using my mouth due to my sore jaw.

I was on the move and not in reach of a hospital. I searched the net and decided to take amoxicillin 500g three times a day for 10 days. Eventually I got to a hospital in Thailand, a couple of days after starting amoxicillin. What I had taken was ok but I needed a broader spectrum anti biotic ear drop in addition to what I was taking. I got tarivid otic solution. This did the job. Surprising how nasty ear bacteria can be.

reading around I think I caused my problem with overly aggressive equalising.

On a side note, Americans need for another revolution. Searching for info about tarivid I was shocked to see their medicine is marked up a dozen times compared to other countries. Even so called "cheap" online suppliers rip Americans off. Same manufacturer, same size, same everything but many times the cost.

Other countries' "socialized" medical systems negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs. Our Medicare system is prevented, by law, from negotiating pricing, but our VA can. Your insurance carrier may or may not get a negotiated price.

Also, big pharma companies are buying up the independent producers and jacking prices after they buy out their competition.

Other countries' "socialized" medical systems negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs. Our Medicare system is prevented, by law, from negotiating pricing, but our VA can. Your insurance carrier may or may not get a negotiated price.

Also, big pharma companies are buying up the independent producers and jacking prices after they buy out their competition.

Very sad.

I live in the third world. We don't have insurance coverage but everything from medicine (Glaxo factory down the road) to testing (same machines and reagents you have in USA and elsewhere) to medical care is cheap. This isn't due to negotiation by a state body. We just pay a lower price. A lot of my friends are Doctors so I am directed to the best care when I have a problem. They know the best regional centers when something is best dealt with abroad.

Next time I dive I will clean my ears before diving to try to head off trouble. I read about various things people use to kill ear bacteria. These bugs are very nasty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom