How much weight do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seasoft TX3 neoprene drysuit, under armour, fleece suit, HP 117 steel, 22 lbs in BC. I will add prob. add two pounds next dive so as to add a touch more air. Water temps are at 33* F.

Locally -

Bare XCD2
Bare ct200 and underarmour beneath that
Hollis shorty can light/reef scuba reel and carter lift bag/jersey upline and sausage/catch bag/stringer/strobe
5.5lb DR SS BP - classic wing - transplate harness
5MM gloves
7MM hood
OTS FFM

THEN:
Double LP95's - no weight
Double HP120s - no weight
Double HP100s - 4 lbs

Unless I carry the SS hammer - which is almost 6lbs......then no matter what...Im heavy

I have 5 wetsuits, a dry suit, 2 sets of underwear for the d/s, multiple tanks, dive fresh and salt from 40F to 80F. My log book has an entire page devoted to recording the ideal weight for each config. So the short answer for me is 4lbs to 34lbs.

As for the buoyancy check, that's a start, not the end. If you really want to dial it in, nothing beats carefully recoding you weight and using a clip on 1 or 2lb weight to experiment a bit.

GrumpyOldGuy,

That is the best answer to that age old question! Same thing here - depending on what, where, and when, anything from 8 to 34lbs for me (fresh, salt, drysuit, undies, wetsuit, skin, which BCD, etc.). I tell my students to track what they are wearing and what weights they used. Of course it is going to vary, unless you always dive in the same water with the same gear. Diving locally in our cold mountain lakes, depending on temperatures and my combination of undergarments, throughout the year my weights go from 22 to 28lbs.

2 piece ( each 3mm) and a steel Worthington 100 or My Faber HP80 = 8 lbs. I bought differing brands in that configuration because the buoyancy properties of that configuration were very close to same when I researched getting 1 100 and 1 80.... using same brands, or a faber 100 worthy 80 needed abuot a 2 pound change between dives that I wanted to avoid

It depends on what configuration I'm diving. I'm a warm, freshwater diver. I use either a horse collar BC or an Aeris EX100 or no BC at all (when I'm in the minimalist mood).

Sea Elite 3/2 or TommyDSports 3mm fullsuits
With a steel 72-----12 pounds
With an AL80-------16 pounds
With double AL53s--10 pounds

Add six pounds to any of the above when using my NeoSport 5mm fullsuit.

Diving without a wetsuit
Steel 72------------no weight
AL80---------------4 pounds
Double AL53s-------no weight

Last edited:
Warm salt/pool:
4/3mm (probably crushed to a 3/2mm by now)
old torn 5mm booties
1mm gloves
lycra or 5/3mm hood
SP Jet fins
Back-inflate or Al Bp
2lbs-6lbs used w/ St72; Al 50,63,80 (probably only need 0-2lbs to be honest)

Cold salt:
7mm Farmer John
6mm Booties
3mm gloves
5/3mm hoodie
SP Jetfins
Bp/W (8lbs total)
16-20lbs [including Bp/W] w/ St72,80; Al 50,63,80 (probably could drop 2 lbs)

Old setup:
7mm wetsuit, 7/5mm hooded vest, 5mm booties, 3mm torn gloves
6 lb ss bp + 8 lb lead with a Worthington LP77

New setup (still experimenting):
SP trilam ds, Climatec ug, thermal underwear
6 lb ss bp + 14 lb lead with a Worthington LP77

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom