How much weight do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maximdim

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I just got my first set of doubles (OMS LP 98s) and I'm wondering how much weights do I need now. I'm not sure if it's the right forum for this question but since I'm taking my DIR-F in April I decided to ask here. ;-)
Anyway - here is my dilemma: I'm diving in cold fresh water (Great Lakes) and just got my dry suit (Bare Nex Gen) for coming season. I tried dry suit last week in pool with regular BC and AL 80 and it seems that I need about 16lb of weights (btw, same amount I used for my 2pc 7mm wet). So now instead of BC I'm going to use SS backplate (-6 lb) and SS doubles (-7.73 ib each when full and neutral when empty). So it seems to me that without any additional weight I'm going to be about 5lb negative at the beginning of the dive (probably more because of manifold, regs etc) but close to 10lb positive with empty tanks.
What would be recommended solution? I'm going for a pool session tomorrow but would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

maximdim:
Hi everyone,

I just got my first set of doubles (OMS LP 98s) and I'm wondering how much weights do I need now. I'm not sure if it's the right forum for this question but since I'm taking my DIR-F in April I decided to ask here. ;-)
Anyway - here is my dilemma: I'm diving in cold fresh water (Great Lakes) and just got my dry suit (Bare Nex Gen) for coming season. I tried dry suit last week in pool with regular BC and AL 80 and it seems that I need about 16lb of weights (btw, same amount I used for my 2pc 7mm wet). So now instead of BC I'm going to use SS backplate (-6 lb) and SS doubles (-7.73 ib each when full and neutral when empty). So it seems to me that without any additional weight I'm going to be about 5lb negative at the beginning of the dive (probably more because of manifold, regs etc) but close to 10lb positive with empty tanks.
What would be recommended solution? I'm going for a pool session tomorrow but would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Did you have on the underwear that you will be using when you were in the pool?

maximdim:
Sure, I'm diving in pool in the same underwear I'm going to use in open water. No hoods and gloves in pool though.

Sorry for the obvious question but....

Unless you have a neutral al80 you can subtract the positive buoyancy of the al80 as well. Might knock ya down to a nice v-weight or so with those tanks. Never really gonna know until a proper weight check.

maximdim:
Hi everyone,

I just did what you are doing...My doubles are E7-100's, and I tried to compute how much weight I'd need...and came out with a number that was wayyyyy off. I know what I need with a single E7-100, with my config not changing except to double them up...but was way high on the weight estimate.

I thought I'd need around fifteen pounds...Well, with fifteen pounds, I'm grossly overweighted...My guess is that I need more like 5 lbs or so...and I will hopefully be able to try zero or five pounds this coming weekend. Whatever your estimate, take 5 lbs off from that and try it.

maximdim:
Hi everyone,

It looks to me as if you'll need 10 pounds or less of lead in fresh water to be neutral just below the surface with near-empty tanks and an empty dry suit and BC if you use one with the doubles. (I'd guess you will have wings.)

In any case, experiment in the pool to get your weight right with manifold, regs, etc. Add about 3% of your total weight - you and all your gear - for salt water.

maximdim,

Here is my advice to you. Instead of getting in the pool with a full set of doulbes, get in with about 600-700 PSI. This will give you a good idea of how much lead you are going to need when your tanks are empty. You can add or subtract weight from there instead of trying to guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom