how much weight do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryant Law

Registered
Reaction score
I am about to start lessons and I must provide a weight belt. I am 6 ft and weight 240. How much weight do I need? Thanks for the help.

It's simple... just use this quick calculation:

N = ( R* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc) x L

N = Your ideal ballast weight in lead

N* = Your waistline in inches
fp = The atomic weight of lead
ne = The salinity of the water you dive in
fl = Your Body Mass Index
fi = Your lung volume, in litres
fc = The square root of the purchase cost of your wetsuit.
L = How deep you want to sink

Or try this link: Scuba Weighting | 4of9 | Scuba Buoyancy Masterclass :wink:

Bryant -- I'm sure DevonDiver's link is quite thorough, but the bottom line is that we don't have enough information to answer your question.

You need to consider not only body weight, but exposure protection AND the type of water in which you are diving.

I am surprised that you have to provide your own weight belt. Around here, weights are included in the class, although if you continue to dive, you will need to rent or buy them. In part, that is done because almost no one here will dive in warm, fresh water similar to the swimming pools where the confined water portion of the class is conducted.

Providing the weight belt itself I can sort of understand. One could be generous as assume it avoids getting stuck with the generic 6 foot long "one size fits all" weight belt with all that excess flopping about.

Providing the weights? That's a different kettle of fish. Are you sure that was the intent?

check with your instructor. I agree that it is odd for you to supply your own weight belt, but I am guessing that you need only supply the belt and your instructor will supply the lead, and also help you determine how much lead you need to wear at your first pool session.

No I have to provide the belt and the weights.

Which divecenter are you doing your ow with? And Where are you located? This just sounds really odd...

No I have to provide the belt and the weights.

Students providing mask, fins, & snorkel is the norm. A few shops also require the weight belt but I suspect that is a minority. Having the student provide their own weights is not normal and I feel it is excessive. I would be looking for another source of instruction.

When I took my classes, everybody was to have their own weight belt (and weights) - and this still so. Considering the price of the two, I don't see a reason why not. The only mpents for me to rent wre when I take the plane to go on a trip.

So, as to answer the question of the initial poster: have a look at Devon divers calculation, understanding that when you are going to open water ( guess this os for the pool), you probably need a different belt (and different weights) taking account of the suit, the water, etc.

Buying weights before knowing how much you need is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Tell the shop you'll buy the belt. But you are not buying once ounce of lead until they show you how to do a proper weight check and determine the exact amount you'll need for the exposure suit you'll be using in the conditions your check out dive will be done in. Do not let them just hand you an amount and say "Here, this will be enough." Chances are they will sell you much more than you need and make a tidy profit. Lead is not cheap. Do some searches on how to do a proper weight check on here and make sure they show you how as well. Personally I'd find another shop. Actually ask them for a list of shops that will RENT you weight to use for your class or list of people who don't dive anymore that they trained so you can buy theirs. Cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom