How much weight can I lose with BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious about how my weighting will change as well. I am going from a Zeagle Brigade to a AL BPW. According to my bathroom scale the Zeagle weighs 7.6 lbs and the BPW comes in at 7.2 lbs. It looks like I will be very close to the same weighting as I have been using.
Don't forget that the weight alone does not determine that. It is the combination of weight and volume that matters. Drop your uninflated BP/W off of an ocean liner, and it will sink, yet the ocean liner floats. If two items weigh the same but have different volumes, they will have different buoyancy characteristics.

That is why I am thinking my weighting might be close to the same, the BPW weighs less but takes up less volume.

That is why I am thinking my weighting might be close to the same, the BPW weighs less but takes up less volume.
This same relationship holds true for the ocean liner, that floats, and the BP/W, that sinks. Yet the ocean liner needs a lot of weight to sink, while the BP/W does not.

Put both in your bath tub, see how much lead you need to add on top to get it to sink. The more padding, as is typical with jacket BCs, the more lead you will need. That is lead that you will save by going to less padding, as in a BP/W.

For an AL backplate, it is only twice the density of water, so it does not add much ballast. But removing all the padding should help.

Last edited:
You know there is an easier way to sink an ocean liner, yes?

Back
Top Bottom