How much walk-in traffic does a typical dive retailer get strictly from signage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HamataBound

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am in the process of opening up a new retail Scuba shop and I have a quick question. Is roadside signage that important in today's online world?

I am thinking about opening in a very affluent area with awesome demographics and with very reasonable rent. Sounds like a dream come true except for one thing. Due to the restrictions of the area most businesses are not allowed to have any roadside signage and if they are allowed roadside signage it's almost invisible unless you are actually looking for that sign. There will of course be a large lit sign (most likely white but I'm fighting for a dive flag) over the shop and it's in a prime location but again not real visible from the street.

There are other more commercial friendly areas in this town but even then the signage is pretty restrictive.

The only area where any signage of any value is available would cost me over twice as much rent wise. I am willing to make that investment if I had to but I would need to do over 6000 dollars per month of EXTRA sales just to pay that additional rent.

So to sum it all up, does a roadside sign bring in an extra 6000 to 10000 dollars in sales per month? Would I be better off in the less expensive site and invest that plow that additional money into my marketing budget?

Thanks for your opinion!

You need to go to the potential customers and bring them in. To rely on signage to bring you business won't work. Go to market yourself and your lessons in health clubs, swim clubs, travel agents (give them referrals commissions), businessmen clubs, MAKE BIG FUSS about your business and the excitement of diving in every possible location and group. REACH OUT to your community!! Take advantage of every possibly avenue for direct marketing that is free. Sell the "sizzle" and adventure of diving not the lessons!!

If you think that you just put a sign up at your store's front and then for you to lean back and count your money, you are WRONG!!!

Congratulations on your new venture!

To attract existing divers, it is best to have a dive flag visible from the road ... sign or flag, whichever is allowed. Plus, it helps industry people to find you. You would be surprised at how many sales reps, compressor service men, charter boat marketers, etc. don't have GPS.

You need to go to the potential customers and bring them in. To rely on signage to bring you business won't work. Go to market yourself and your lessons in health clubs, swim clubs, travel agents (give them referrals commissions), businessmen clubs, MAKE BIG FUSS about your business and the excitement of diving in every possible location and group. REACH OUT to your community!! Take advantage of every possibly avenue for direct marketing that is free. Sell the "sizzle" and adventure of diving not the lessons!!

If you think that you just put a sign up at your store's front and then for you to lean back and count your money, you are WRONG!!!

I agree with you 100%. The question was how much money does signage actually bring in? Either way I know I have to hustle and get them to come in the door. The question was how much business does a sign bring in? Not if I can just sit back and wait for customers. Do you have any input on that question?

I agree with you 100%. The question was how much money does signage actually bring in? Either way I know I have to hustle and get them to come in the door. The question was how much business does a sign bring in? Not if I can just sit back and wait for customers. Do you have any input on that question?

I can't quantify it for you but it isn't much. It is your overall marketing that does not a sign. Leaning scuba isn't a "drive by" impulse type of a purchase. They just need to know that you are there and it is convenient to get there and get a parking space. A dive flag to draw their attention so that they would know where you are.

I think it depends on the sign itself. We recently changes the signs waving in the wind and just by changing the colors and stating SCUBA LESSONS it absolutely increased our walk in traffic. We have been in our location for 26 years and in business for 43. We have found that the Plas-core signs are somewhat inexpensive and easy to change, meaning we have had a few different ones made and periodically change them out so it grabs the attention of the drivers that go whizzing by on the 5 lane road. It also helps if they are lit..

If a sign brings in one potential customer your are ahead of the game. I am on a main st so I have had people who stopped in because they saw the dive flag. Remember a sign is promoting you every day 24 hours a day

Back
Top Bottom