How much to tip in Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's also good to have your own analyzer outside of the U.S., as well as to check boats for life preservers, 2 way radios, DAN Oxygen kits, fire extinguishers. Amazing what passes for "clsoe enough" outside of the overlook of U.S. Coast Guard, Insurance companies, regulations, courts, etc. It's not just "don't drink the water."

don

I believe that tipping in restaurants and stuff should be to the same standard as it is in the states and in Canada. If you get great service on you meal then 20%, Good 15%, average 10% and poor well then you decide. Just because our money is worth more doesn't mean we should not treat people well. If it is all inclusive then a small grat is included that is split with every single person that works at that hotel right down to the people raking the beaches. The dinning and Dive staff are a lot of times excluded from this under the assumption that people will tip them anyway, but sometimes they are cut in on a very small portion. Just like when you plan to go out for dinner you expect to leave a tip I think that tipping should be planned before you leave so that you have money set aside for that purpose.

When it comes to housekeeping I take care of my own stuff. As long as I get clean towels everyday I am happy and tell them not to bother cleaning my room everyday as I like knowing that people are not in my room when I am out. I feel better that way and don't even clean my toilet at home that often. So I leave them $5 at the end of the week if they remembered to bring me clean towels everyday.

Dive staff: I generally tip $5 per dive master per day. Now if it is one of those resorts that does it all for you I tip ten each per day. When I say everything I mean right down to cleaning you gear and setting it up for you everyday so that you don't have to touch it. It is WAY more work and I like to show that I appreciate it. I mean I tip on a hundred dollar meal that I sat in a restaurant with a server for only an hour $20 and this person is not breaking their back for me. I think that $50 per person per week might even be really cheap in that situation if you compair the two, but this is up to the individual with the money.

Just use your judgement. What did they do for you to make your trip enjoyable and relaxing and tip accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom