How much to tip at Cozumel Reef Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
It's not a prob, really; it's just that there are only two gas (PEMEX) stations on the island. They are both on the road that goes across to Mescalito's from town; one is on the SW corner of that road and the first boulevard back from the water, and the other is a bit farther out on the north side of the road. They both take dollars as well as pesos, and they have attendants to dispense the gasoline.

The one farther out (east) has more pumps, so there is less, if any, waiting.
I heard they were building a new one to the south. If so it would be great.

James

Last Nov. my wife and I were in Playa and found out that the maid service their only received 8 dollars a day for a 12 hour shift.

ggunn:
It's not a prob, really; it's just that there are only two gas (PEMEX) stations on the island. They are both on the road that goes across to Mescalito's from town; one is on the SW corner of that road and the first boulevard back from the water, and the other is a bit farther out on the north side of the road. They both take dollars as well as pesos, and they have attendants to dispense the gasoline.

The one farther out (east) has more pumps, so there is less, if any, waiting.

There's 3 gas stations on the island. One on the north side, one back by La Pique and one by the new cruise ship pier, which is sitting on Paridise Reef.

L (Ellen)

Christi:
for the service staff, but if you feel someone has taken care of you, then by all means feel free to give them a little more. I would particularly encourage you to leave a couple of dollars a day for your maid...they make VERY LITTLE and tips are very much appreciated.

The only people I would adamantly tell you NOT to tip in Cozumel are the taxi's. Believe me, the tip is built in! Save your tip money for your service staff and DM's...they work MUCH harder for it!

Also, don't let the taxi driver ever pull the "I don't have change" scam on you! Make them come back if they don't have change and change will suddenly appear!

Have a great vacation!

Christi,

That is very good info on cabs. Thanks. I'll be there wednesday. Is the old Plaza Las Glorias re-opened yet?

Even with an all-inclusive trip, I still tip a little extra. I've found that tipping housekeeping on the last day gets me better service than tipping on a daily basis. I tip the bartenders and waiters as well. Have the same dive masters all week, so I just gave a lump sum at the end. Taxi fares have the tip already built in, so don't bother tipping the drivers. Also, don't believe them if they claim they don't have change. Tell them wait while you get change and you'll see how quickly they *find* change.

J75:
Even with an all-inclusive trip, I still tip a little extra. I've found that tipping housekeeping on the last day gets me better service than tipping on a daily basis. I tip the bartenders and waiters as well. Have the same dive masters all week, so I just gave a lump sum at the end. Taxi fares have the tip already built in, so don't bother tipping the drivers. Also, don't believe them if they claim they don't have change. Tell them wait while you get change and you'll see how quickly they *find* change.

However, you probably DO NOT have the same maid everyday, especially at a larger resort like that. Just curious, did you mean that you tip housekeeping on the FIRST day? If not, I'm curious as to how tipping them on the last day gets you better service during the week. They are there to clean your room anyway, but as far as they know they are not receiveing a tip at all because they don't know you will be tipping them at the end...unless you leave them a note in Spanish of course.

I 100% totally agree with you about the taxi's. They use the no change excuse ALL the time. It's their way to coerce a tip out of you. Aside from the fact tha it is their responsibility to be able to make change for you, tell me how can they drive around, collecting cash ALL day and NOT have change. Even if you are giving them a $200 peso note or a $20 bill, they should be able to make change for you. If not, tell them you'll wait, but DO NOT fall for the "no change" game.

Christi:
However, you probably DO NOT have the same maid everyday, especially at a larger resort like that. Just curious, did you mean that you tip housekeeping on the FIRST day? If not, I'm curious as to how tipping them on the last day gets you better service during the week. They are there to clean your room anyway, but as far as they know they are not receiveing a tip at all because they don't know you will be tipping them at the end...unless you leave them a note in Spanish of course.

I 100% totally agree with you about the taxi's. They use the no change excuse ALL the time. It's their way to coerce a tip out of you. Aside from the fact tha it is their responsibility to be able to make change for you, tell me how can they drive around, collecting cash ALL day and NOT have change. Even if you are giving them a $200 peso note or a $20 bill, they should be able to make change for you. If not, tell them you'll wait, but DO NOT fall for the "no change" game.

Christi,

Has the Plaza Las Glorias re-opened. Dont want to stay there, wife wants to stop for a margarita. Thanks

Mawg:
Christi,

Has the Plaza Las Glorias re-opened. Dont want to stay there, wife wants to stop for a margarita. Thanks
You might PM Chrisit on this. I happen to know how hard she works herself, and while I'm sure that she'd be happy to answer you, she may not have as much time for rereading threads as she'd like. :)

It's interesting to see this old thread revived, but then - this is one of the needs that SB.com serves so well, helping fellow travelers who don't know what to believe...? :wink:

The inexperienced group leader had booked our trip based on the salesman's claim that "tips were already built into the price - don't bother." As a result, the employees were less likely to be tipped, which is unfortunate for they certainly aren't paid that well, and not only does good service deserve a little tip in the North American cultures - it helps encourage it.

I hated the resort, but did tip the maids every day, the courteous bartenders, waiters and porters, and I always tip good dive masters.

The cabbies have a strong union there, and even exhort tips from the restaurants. They expect $1US from the businesses for every person delivered, even tho they didn't suggest the place. When I asked to be taken to one place that refuses to pay the required bribe, they'd take me to his old place, lie that he was closed, and try to take me to one that paid him. I'd pay the fees due, then walk half a block to the new location.

I know that some people resist tipping, but with the exception of Cozumel drivers, it is a nice gesture for a traveler, doesn't cost that much, and means a lot to the locals. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom