How much thinsulate do I really need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Q: How much thinsulate do I really need?
A: Enough to keep you warm. My answer might sound silly, but only you will know the answer once you have given the following points some thought.

Context: You need to understand what you current diving requirements such as water temps, exposure times and your personnel tolerance to cold water over time. Do you use a hoodie and gloves. Heat loss, especially though you head is key. Also, not all product are made equal.

Example: My cold tolerance with 200g thermals without a hoodie in water temp X relates to 20min. The very same parameters with the use of a hoodie will give me 40min.

Solution/Recommendation: Firstly, diving dry and being cold is a self inflicted crime and therefore I would recommend 400g as a start in conjunction with quality and properly fitting hoodie, maybe some dry gloves. You can always dress down if required.

I found this guide on DUI's website for how much thermal protection you should get.

Thermal guidelines for drysuit divers

I'm a 135 pound male who is a total cold wuss. Following their chart, they place me in a category 2. I reviewed the logs from my last dive here in So Cal, and the water temp was 59 degrees.

According to this chart, I should be using a 300 gram thinsulate jumpsuit. I havent yet tried on jumpsuits, but looking at the pictures of jumpsuits, that seems totally excessive. I'd like to buy one jumpsuit for the time being that will work the majority of the time. I was planning to get a 200 gram jumpsuit. But the water isnt going to be getting any warmer considering that its already summer.

Can some of you experienced drysuit users chime in?

Edit - I could buy another jumpsuit later as well to round out my gear. But I want to get the most versatile one for now.

If you are new to dry suits I'd suggest a wicking layer (under armor etc. ) and an inexpensive fleece "bunny suit" You can source these bunny suits on line Bunnysuit - Stohlquist

This may not be your final answer, but it will give you a starting point. It will also give you a set of undies for warmer water.

Me? I have two different wicking layers, thin and not so thin, a couple fleece jumpsuits, and a set of 4th element arctics (and an electric vest)

The beauty of drysuits is you can mix and match the undies for the conditions. Most often I'm the heavier wicking layer and a fleece. If that's not enough I'll sometimes double up the wicking layers and still use a fleece. Next is the thin fleece and 4th Elements.

Having 2 sets of undies is a very good idea if you plan trips with multiple days of diving. Easier to own two sets of ~$100 fleece than every weight of Thinsulate. Wet undies suck.

Do keep in mind that the undies you pick will change the buoyancy of your suit.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom