How much thinsulate do I really need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found this guide on DUI's website for how much thermal protection you should get.

Thermal guidelines for drysuit divers

I'm a 135 pound male who is a total cold wuss. Following their chart, they place me in a category 2. I reviewed the logs from my last dive here in So Cal, and the water temp was 59 degrees.

According to this chart, I should be using a 300 gram thinsulate jumpsuit. I havent yet tried on jumpsuits, but looking at the pictures of jumpsuits, that seems totally excessive. I'd like to buy one jumpsuit for the time being that will work the majority of the time. I was planning to get a 200 gram jumpsuit. But the water isnt going to be getting any warmer considering that its already summer.

Can some of you experienced drysuit users chime in?

Edit - I could buy another jumpsuit later as well to round out my gear. But I want to get the most versatile one for now.

The problem is that your perception of cold will be completely different than someone else's. You will find the waters get as low as the upper 40's (though that's rare).

You can layer (I do). Add a warming, wicking base layer for the colder dives.

That said, there are 250g undergarments available.

I was wondering if 250 would be the happy medium. I think I should give some consideration to that.

Not sure if DUI is still doing Dog Days where you can try various DUI suits and garments. Being in SoCal they should be fairly frequent.
Any shops close by have garment rentals?

DUI has suspended the dog days program. As for insulation I recently switched to 4th element arctics. I used jump suits since 2004. have to say the two piece is easier to layer and get on and off.

More is better.....up to a point. I'm a 130# male (skinny), use a 5mm compressed neoprene suit, 4th Element Arctic, AND a base bottom layer and several top layers. Some people use just the Arctic in a shell suit. OTOH, they usually come up sooner and colder than I do or resort to heated vests.
FWIW when it gets colder (Puget Sound, 46-50* is pretty normal around here) I'll use a Wheezle Extreme.

I have a thermal fusion undergarment - it is literally amazing. I did a 1 hour and 30min dive in 45 degree water and did not even feel the cold on my core - hands were cold by then though. It is 200g but It's like magic. YMMV ... now to find some liners for my dry gloves that work as good....

Then again for $450+tax it better perform like magic lol.

Ibut looking at the pictures of jumpsuits, that seems totally excessive.
Do you mean that they look too thick and bulky? Thinsulate undergarments are pretty light and kinda fluffy (like a down jacket). I have the thickest Thinsulate DUI makes (450) and it's not at all excessive - dived it in water ranging from 46F to 59F for usually about an hour dive time. I even wear a SmartWool baselayer underneath for sweat wicking. I have NEVER felt like it was too warm in the water.
As far as layering goes, be careful about getting a lighter primary undergarment and then planning on using more than 1-2 additional layers. I found that they start binding enough that it interferes with my overall range of motion much more than is comfortable.

Total dive time makes a big difference. I use a 400 gram in 58* water. While I'm pretty warm starting out, after an hour immersed I'm glad I went that thick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom