How much should I expect to pay for inspection of Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry but I was under the impression that you don't soak the regulators and only give it a splash for fresh water? (taught from my OW instructor, rental gear though)

Also, wouldn't soaking ruin the 1st stage Yoke dust proof cap?

I've been soaking my regs with the dustproof cap on for 20 years and haven't had to replace it yet. Do not purge your regs when soaking them. As for giving a good soak in tub at hotel before returning home, yes, that's ideal but I find not always enough remaining time for a decent drying before packing for home. Without fail, I fill the tub upon my return home and soak everything for 12 to 24 hours, starting with warm water. I treat my BCD as recommended by Jim Lamenta in his post above, though without the Listerine.

If you are still in your gear you could use the shower by the pool (assuming it is fresh water) for an initial rinse before the soak. Also sealed first stages are more tolerant of lack of soaking as the internal portion of the regulator is not in contact with the salt water.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 01:35 PM ----------

If you are still in your gear you could use the shower by the pool (assuming it is fresh water) for an initial rinse before the soak. Also sealed first stages are more tolerant of lack of soaking as the internal portion of the regulator is not in contact with the salt water. Another strategy after you return is to do a fresh water dive to clean out the salt.

Sorry but I was under the impression that you don't soak the regulators and only give it a splash for fresh water? (taught from my OW instructor, rental gear though)

Also, wouldn't soaking ruin the 1st stage Yoke dust proof cap?

Soaking helps remove salt deposits and other minerals from the crevasses like screw threads and hose protectors. The dust caps are really a bit more than that and will impede water from entering a first stage. However, always better to soak while on a tank. But not always practical. The number one area for corrosion on a reg set is connection between the HP hose and the SPG. Which is why the spools often break. A quick rinse will not remove the deposits let aline saltwater.

For rental gear - IMHO part of the rental expense is for the dive shop to soak. I just make sure it is rinsed, clean, and mostly dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom