How much should I expect to pay for inspection of Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ald1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK... My equipment is about 5 years old. I have about 40+ dives in saltwater (Caribbean). I always rinse my equipment in our tub in warm water upon returning from our southern trips. I dry it well and store it away until our next trip south.

How much is a reasonable price to inspect and service:
First stage
Second stage
BC
and all other parts that should be inspected.

Oh! and I am in Canada eh! :)

thanks

Rinsing is not suffecient after diving salt water, you have to soak it for a while before it dried, after 5 years it it was only rinsed it will likely require quite a cleaning. Here in Toronto the prices are aroung $50 per stage when you need to pay for the kits and about 25 if you do not. IIRC BCDs are around 30

Thanks Elan.
Here in Ottawa I got a quote of $102.00 for:
first stage service - labour only.parts extra ( disassembly, cleaning reassembly, tuning) $25.00
Second stage service - labour only.parts extra ( disassembly, cleaning reassembly, tuning) $25.00
SPG service labour only.parts extra ( disassembly, cleaning reassembly, tuning) $10.00
R1/R2 Annual service kit $8.00
MAres Axis service kit $9.50
Service Kit Mares MV $9.50
HC Inspection labor $15.00

Does does sound like the going rate?

I am not sure, what is the HC inspection? Is that for the BCD? Overall probably okay. SPG service is something that is easy to do yourself. And for $10 should include replacing the spool ($3-$4) which may not be need. That said having an extra spool in a save a dive kit is worth while.

BTW rinse < 2 hours < soak.

I am not sure, what is the HC inspection? Is that for the BCD? Overall probably okay. SPG service is something that is easy to do yourself. And for $10 should include replacing the spool ($3-$4) which may not be need. That said having an extra spool in a save a dive kit is worth while.

BTW rinse < 2 hours < soak.

Actually it's a Typo it should be BC inspection NOT HC...so yes it's for the BCD.

for the rinse you mean Rinse with running water for 2 hours??? and then soak for an addtional 2 hours??? ( ouch my water bill)

No. What I recommend is a fresh water rinse first of all. Then with the regs pressurized a warm water soak. It you don't have a way to pressurize them then just soak the second stages and do not purge them. Ideally what I like to see is someone fill the sink with hot water or very warm water from the tap. Then soak the seconds for ten-fiteen minutes swishing them around every so often. Change the water once soak for a bit more, and then a fresh water rinse and hang to dry. Another way to rinse them with warm water if you don't have a way to pressurize them is make sure the dust cap is on good and snug and take them in the shower with you. Rinse the 1st stage off that way.

And you can't tune an SPG. All you can do is check it and make sure it's right. If it's not you replace it.

As for the BC. There is really no need to take it in unless it's not holding air. Fill it up orally, let it set and see how long it stays inflated. As for the inflator mechanism itself soak it the same as the second stages in warm/hot tap water and you can work the buttons while doing this. Make sure they are not sticking. Orally inflate a few times and deflate. then fresh water rinse through it. You can also fill the bc up a little with fresh water and swirl it all around. Shake it, then dump it out via the inflator. Fill again and repeat the process. Then store it with just a bit of air in it.

Some will also take a little disinfectant like scope or listerine and dilute it and use that for the final rinse. Then inflate a little and store.

the price seems to be inline

No you do not need to rinse in rinning water for 2 hours. Just soak.

I usually do it in the hotel right after the dive when down south. Soaking back home does not help much as my the time you get home the salt will already crystalize on most parts and then it is way more difficult to clran it. You have to soak it why the salt water on the gear has not dried yet.

the price seems to be inline

No you do not need to rinse in rinning water for 2 hours. Just soak.

I usually do it in the hotel right after the dive when down south. Soaking back home does not help much as my the time you get home the salt will already crystalize on most parts and then it is way more difficult to clran it. You have to soak it why the salt water on the gear has not dried yet.

Hey great idea about the soaking in the hotel tub right after a dive... next trip guaranteed I'll be following that advise.

thanks

I always expect to pay more than I feel it's worth, but I'm really happy when my dive vacation comes off without any equipment problems.

Sent via Tapatalk+Autocorrupt

The rate is actually pretty good. At least have the reg service especially after 5 years of storage after a questionable clean. BC inspection, it really depends on how fancy your BC is. For very simple design, say a wing type with one inflator and one dump. You just need to make sure no leak, and inflator, dump don't stick. For complicanted design with multi dumps, levels ... etc, maybe it is good idea to have the shop do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom