How much should I be spending on PADI training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm assuming you just have that equipment and that you have never taken the OW course. If you have, the card is good for life.

I already know how to dive, 5 years ago i took the padi ow curse and did everything except the last ocean dive. I just want to get my cert so I can do boat diving. Thats why i am looking for the cheapest.
Since there is really nothing from your course 5 years ago that you can use to shorten doing it again, you might find you can save the most money by doing some agency other than PADI. Any residual skills you may have retained will be useful no matter the agency.

I already know how to dive, 5 years ago i took the padi ow curse and did everything except the last ocean dive. I just want to get my cert so I can do boat diving. Thats why i am looking for the cheapest.
My advice is, pick an agency ,any agency with a good instructor [ask around, reviews etc] , do the course and DO NOT tell them you know how to dive, impress them with how quick you learn the skills [you may accidentally learn something :D], as to e learning, I am not a fan, you can not beat face to face, questions asked, things explained and no distractions like kids, work etc etc.
A C card is to say you have been accepted as a student, not the be all, end all.
How and where you expand you skills is up to you.

$500 in Seattle will buy you PADI e-learning (more expensive than the book-learning route) and a class no larger than 4 people, both instituted due to COVID issues. Pre-Covid, you could do a class of 8 and book-learning for perhaps $125 less.

That would include all instruction (book or online stuff, pool work, open water dives), the use of equipment in the pool and on open water dives, and such. It would not include mask, fins, snorkel, boots, or gloves. You'd have to buy them.

My advice is, pick an agency ,any agency with a good instructor [ask around, reviews etc] , do the course and DO NOT tell them you know how to dive, impress them with how quick you learn the skills [you may accidentally learn something :D], as to e learning, I am not a fan, you can not beat face to face, questions asked, things explained and no distractions like kids, work etc etc.
A C card is to say you have been accepted as a student, not the be all, end all.
How and where you expand you skills is up to you.
You are right, there is always something to learn! Last time I did it, it was in a classroom and I think that is more engaging. Almost all the dive shops around here do not do in person teaching. only a written test after you pass the e-learning.

That’s not a bad price for the course. I did mine many years ago in school for around 700CAD rentals included.

As for the gear, depending on the regulator it may not necessarily need service. If you’re diving a ScubaPro or Aqua Lung, you can get away with several years without service. This is not recommended but I have 40 year old Conshelf regs still working. However, if you’re looking to factor the price of service into the number quoted for the course, it could be $100 extra for servicing the equipment.

AhoyFed

You are not a certified diver, so you really do not know what you don’t know to dive safely .Took course 5 years ago and never finished, why? I suggest sign up for class, complete eLearning, review quick review exam with instructor, go over any questions you get wrong and ask why it is wrong, do all confined water requirements then complete the 4 certification dives. Do not use your old gear until it is serviced properly. Instructor may allow you to use it after it is serviced ,for confined water and training dives. On line eLearning works very well. I say this as an instructor who has been teaching for close to 50 years now and I have seen the evolution from years ago to what it is today.

Cost is VERY location dependent, and what's included.
Right. I assume you are not near the old shop where you took all but the ocean dives. If you were it's unlikely, but possible they could offer the whole course again but for a special reduced rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom