How much should a woven hammock cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the things I love to do when I am staying at Blue Angel is to get up very early in the morning and relax in a hammock right outside the door to my room watching the island wake up. For many years the hotel has furnished one for me to use but this time they are telling me that they may not have one for me. If they do not have one I will probably go into town and buy one. I have heard that hammock salesmen are notorious hagglers and will start very high, so what would be a reasonable number to settle on?

This may not be useful, but I periodically buy hammocks from the market in Panama where I work. Cozumel may be a different world, but your mention of the haggling is spot on. They always offer me the exorbitant "gringo price." I usually get it down to around $45 USD. I've gone with Panamanians, and they always get a better price. I'm usually buying it from the craftsperson or their family, so I don't feel bad about paying a little more than the locals.

You probably already thought of this. But, Ask the hotel people. They may be able to give someone a call etc. never hurts to ask.

You probably already thought of this. But, Ask the hotel people. They may be able to give someone a call etc. never hurts to ask.
Yes, I did, but if anyone here has a clue what the bottom line should be (I do not) in case I have to shop for one, I would love to hear it.

Should cost about $7.00. I have brought my own hammock with on my last dozen or so trips.
1681481823569.png

I would think that if you are willing to pay the Amazon monster 70.00 us for it then consider anything up to and under for the same style fair. Buy it feel good about feeding the local economy and relax in it.

Walk down the square after cruise ship leave See one you like. Offer them 1/2 that price, walk away go to next store. You won't make it far.

Hammocks come in all prices because they come in many sizes, string counts, and materials. Personally, I have always used cotton-string hammocks. If you take care not to nap in them with clothes that have buttons and don't snag the strings and make a hole, they will last for twenty years or more (of course, that is not with sleeping in them every night). Today, those cotton ones are hard to find; most hammock weavers use synthetic string now. Long ago, you could still find henequin hammocks, but I haven't seen one of those for ages. Those will last forever, but they are not as soft as the cotton ones.

The sizes are tricky. They come in "doble matrimonial," "matrimonial," "individual," "grande," "mediano," and "chico." I always use the doble matrimonial; you can sleep in it and wrap the excess around you like a blanket. The string count is really important. You will not find a hammock for sale on the island at a store that has a decent string count. A high-quality hammock should have a brazo (the strings looped through the woven part that ends in a loop) with over 200 strings gathered at the ear (oreja). The crap hammocks they sell to tourists in Cozumel might have 80. To really relax on a hammock, you need to lay on it at a diagonal, and if the string count is too low, that is hard to do.

There are several guys in town who make and repair hammocks. They can make one to order, in the string count, size, and material you want.

To wash it, tie strips of cloth around the stretched-out hammock and just put it in the washing machine. Hang to dry (do not use a dryer!)

Incredibly, Cozumel is now importing "Yucatan" hammocks from China to sell to tourists, just like the lace tablecloths and sweaters they swear are handmade.

Back
Top Bottom