How much redundancy is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for me on any dive above 130 ft, the answer is anything that causes enough drag/weight to impede an emergency ascent.

Of course the equation changes for technical diving.

I am generally solo, dive with no redundancy, the surface serves that purpose. Overhead and wrecks and deco and sub 100 foot dives are a diffrent situation. Each to their own, I prefer simple and robust to complex and failure prone.

An interesting pic circa 1980 or so, this diver had a friend and treated his guest with this friendly fellow.

IMG_0016_edited.jpg

N

Would that include your camera Catherine? :)

No....I have people for that lol

they are called insurance agents who need to earn their cut of the premium.

That camera and strobes does get very heavy but I'd drop it in a nano second.

I prefer simple and robust to complex and failure prone.
good philosophy for life in general, Sensei

I think it depends on the type of diving you do. I pretty much take 2 or 3 of everything except 1 slate and 1 compass on every dive. The trick to it is the "stashing" part so you don't look like a dive store with a bunch of dangliees. Sure you might get a few raised eyebrows on vacations, but its pretty funny when the DM or Instuctor leading the dive comes to you because they computer failed and they no longer know depth and time and are afraid to end the dive b/c you've paid them

I think it depends on the kind of diving you do and your personal "cost" for carrying gear...

What I mean is that if you have big pockets, it´s almost no extra hassle to carry a spare mask, an smb and spool and an additional cutting tool and they stay "invisible" until you need them (my digital camera stays there until I want to use it as well)...if you don´t and your dive is spent with those things "flapping around" then the cost/benefit equation is changed and those things will propably be left in your divebag unless the specific dive calls for them...

Same thing with backup lights, I don´t really need 2 for my regular dives but since a subset of the diving I do calls for them and as they remain out of the way on my harness until I need them, I carry them on all dives...

Doubles I only bring if the dive calls for them, I prefer the simplicity and freedom of a single-tank rig...

ymmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom