How much of a factor is age in scuba deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to DAN annual reports the majority, sometime a large majority, of fatalities occur above age 50, with most occurring in the 50-59 age bracket.

Great, since I'm now 62, I'm out of the danger zone:
I too, will soon be buying a house in cave country in the Lake City area. How bad are property taxes on the 1st 100K over the Homesteaders Exemption per 100K in Lake City?

According to DAN annual reports the majority, sometime a large majority, of fatalities occur above age 50, with most occurring in the 50-59 age bracket.
Which probably has more to do with who has time & money for dive trips.

From the report:

"The victims in the 67 U.S. and Canadian fatalities were male in 79% of cases (n=53) and female in 21% of cases (n=14). The vast majority of the victims — 91% of males and 93% of females — were 40 years of age or older, and a significant majority — 75% of males and 71% of females — were 50 years of age or older. Figure 1.4-1 shows the age distribution for these 67 fatalities.

Figure 1.4-1
Distribution by age and sex for U.S. and Canadian scuba fatalities, 2015 (n=67).

The medical history of the decedents was, in most cases, incomplete or unknown. "

So drop the age to 40, in the service of fairness.

Medical history was unknown, In addition to their dive history in the vast majority of incidents. In otherwords, not enough information to decide whether age alone is the cause of these fatalities.

The question is whether these deaths are out of line with the average death rate of older citizens in general. For recreational (NDL) divers, I don't believe insurance reflects a difference.

Bob

From the report:

"The victims in the 67 U.S. and Canadian fatalities were male in 79% of cases (n=53) and female in 21% of cases (n=14). The vast majority of the victims — 91% of males and 93% of females — were 40 years of age or older, and a significant majority — 75% of males and 71% of females — were 50 years of age or older. Figure 1.4-1 shows the age distribution for these 67 fatalities.

Figure 1.4-1
Distribution by age and sex for U.S. and Canadian scuba fatalities, 2015 (n=67).

The medical history of the decedents was, in most cases, incomplete or unknown. "

So drop the age to 40, in the service of fairness.

Medical history was unknown, In addition to their dive history in the vast majority of incidents. In otherwords, not enough information to decide whether age alone is the cause of these fatalities.

The question is whether these deaths are out of line with the average death rate of older citizens in general. For recreational (NDL) divers, I don't believe insurance reflects a difference.

Bob

The problem with the above information is that we do not have the number of dives performed by divers plotted out on an age distribution. In my experience, a large number of divers that I see are over 50. If the age distribution of divers suffering fatalities exactly matches the age distribution of dives performed by divers, than age would not be a contributing factor.

It is like the gender distribution of fatalities. 79% of the divers who died were male. But we don’t have the data on what percentage of dives are made by male divers.

It is quite easy to believe that age increases one’s chance of being a fatality. But we do not have data that is good enough to really prove that it is true.

It is also easy to believe that male divers are far more willing to take stupid chances and suffer the fatal consequences i.e. testosterone poisoning. But again, we do not have the data to proves that being male is a risk factor.

<----< Over here in the tiny group on right...

chapter1.f1.jpg

The BSAC annual incident report acknowledges the risk to older divers, which is also an acknowledgement that the demographic is getting older.

•  The fatalities in 2018 involved divers with an average age of 56 (in one case the diver’s age is unknown); three of these divers were in their 70s. This continues the previously identified trend of the fatalities occurring in an aging population of divers.

It is quite easy to believe that age increases one’s chance of being a fatality. But we do not have data that is good enough to really prove that it is true.

My point exactly, lots of interesting numbers, but not enough information to come to anything close to a scientific conclusion.

<----< Over here in the tiny group on right...

View attachment 520422

I'm also glad I'm in the safer group. I think it's a combination of fewer divers that age, and the long term survival skills that got us here. If I don't feel right I don't go in, a large change in attitude from my earlier years.

Bob

S...

Most people die when they're old...regardless of what they're doing...

Life teaches us lots of lessons...if we're smart enough to learn them...and barring sickness and disease...which knows no age limits...I like to think...well learned lessons of life...keeps us healthy...fit...and active...

We don't stop playing because we get old...we get old because we stop playing...

Best...

Warren...

I also think people are much fitter and significantly more active in their 50/60 and 70's than 30 years ago.
From observation, those that retire, sit in the armchair, and watch TV age significantly quicker, than those who ignore their age and carry on regardless.
If you want a long and healthy life carry on riding motorbikes, diving, skiing or bungy jumping, I'm sure it's doing you far more good. Than settling down in front of the fire with a blanket over your knees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom