How much experience needed to Flower Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been reading your posts and looking at the awesome pics of the Flower Gardens and WANT TO GO.

How many dives are recommended before a trip like that?

I dove flower garden on my third (through 9th) open water dive not counting certification dives (through AOW) and a few shore dives. It can be challenging, with potential for strong currents, but is a great experience. FWIW, someone died on that trip, and inspired me to get rescue certified, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly... if YOU feel ready for it, by all means, do it!

If you don't have any or little boat diving experience (especially for the Gulf), you might want to try a smaller day boat trip to see how you like it and gain more boat experience. I'd say getting back on the boat is the toughest part of any boat dive. How well you perform depends on your skill, experience, and comfort level.

People have a tendency to get a little sick on the gulf liveaboards. That can put a damper on your diving experience unless you come prepared (i.e., meds). Even with meds, the sickness can still haunt you. Doing a day trip will give you a taste of how you might perform.

I can recommend Capt. Randy and Sharon from Sport Divers of Houston. Myself and some of the other CHUM gang were just with them this last weekend. Awesome weather. Awesome diving (trip report is here). They are running rig trips right now for a very good price compared to most. Give them a shout.

Gulf of Mexico: Rig GA424-C
Gulf6a.jpg

cruiser:
I've been reading your posts and looking at the awesome pics of the Flower Gardens and WANT TO GO.

How many dives are recommended before a trip like that?

I don't think you can measure it in number of dives, but if I had to put a number on it I'd say 40 to 50. Some may scoff and many novices have gone out there and had no problems. Many people also drive home drunk from the bars every weekend and have no problems. Getting away with it doesn't mean it is safe.

Some may be ready at 20 dives, some not even at 60. The real issue is that you need to be comfortable in the water (everyone says they are), familiar with your equipment, and have your basic scuba skills down pat. Task overload is the enemy. There will be enough unique aspects to ocean live-aboard diving that you don't want to be struggling with your gear or trying to remember basic skills. Your mind needs to be free so you can listen and remember the DM briefings and the specific procedures they want you to follow.

You'll need to be able to navigate back to the mooring line or stay within sight of it (which you can do and still have great diving). You'll need to be able to control your buoyancy as you will be nitrogen loaded and your safety stops are important. You'll need patience as there are lots of other divers all trying to do the same things at the same time. You'll need to be prepared as when it's your turn (to enter, to exit, to eat, to potty) there will be lots of divers behind you trying to exercise patience but expecting you to be ready. The crew will give you special help but they can't babysit you.

The diving is intense and everything operates on a tight schedule, almost military like. No single item is particularly difficult for even a novice, it's the cumulative effect that can be overwhelming. The more variables you can remove the simpler it will be. I'd recommend first taking a day trip to the oil rigs. If you can handle that you can handle FG.

P.S. I was on that rig trip with "pantysniffer" and can second the recommendation on Sport Divers.

I'd recommend taking an advanced course if you can, too. Bouncing off the reef at the gardens is never something fun to watch, nor do. You should be able to control your buoyancy, navigate WELL, and handle yourself in narcosis, since some dives can push over 100 if you try. Other than that, be able to handle yourself on a boat, and don't drink too much the night before.

I didnt think it was as challenging as I thought it would be. But I had close to 300 dives plus numerous rig dives off boats including being dropped off on rig where we didnt tie up(live boated). Was I ready for it at 30 dives. No way. Probably was ready at 100. But took a few tries to get out there. Getting seasick was the worst part.

I think about doing this trip periodically, but I start thinking about a comparable weekend trip to Cozumel. Are the prices similar?

Jarrett:
I think about doing this trip periodically, but I start thinking about a comparable weekend trip to Cozumel. Are the prices similar?

I've never been to Coz (yet) so can't really compare. However, this is the best deal on a liveboard period especially if you live in the area. The price depends on who exactly you book with. Dig around and you will find rock bottom prices. We did a 3 nights/3 days Diving/11 boat dives trip in August for $450. That trip was longer than the standard trip so cost was a bit more. But, the standard trip of two days, two nights is less ($375 rings a bell).

You can book online now with the Spree.

The Spree and the Fling are now two separate companies. There will be pricing differences, and huge improvements in the boats next year.

The Flower Gardens are a long way out there. Currents and ladder rides may be present. They may not be. Conditions may be great at the start and crappy at the end, or the other way around. You need to be comfortable with your gear, and yourself under water. If you still need someone to hold your hand, it isn't the place for you. IMHO, you need experience boat diving in salt water. The rigs are a nice place to do that.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom