How many ways can a turtle sleep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven:
That's one of the really cool things about diving in Hawaii, the turtles are used to divers and don't go away when you're near them. We had a very close encounter with a Hawksbill turtle when we were on Maui last December with the turtle grazing and moving to within a foot or two of us. Contrast that to our turtle encounters in the Bahamas this summer where they couldn't put enough distance between us fast enough.

And the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles are even worse than the Hawksbills for not wanting to move too!

Would that be at Molokini Reef's End? I believe this is the same hawksbill.

There was some surge one day and I happened to take these photos of it feeding. The photos are actually pretty comical. It was so intent on eating that the surge wasn't even a bother, even flipping it up to the point where it was upside down. It would come back down again and continue feeding.:rofl3:

DSC01595sml.jpg

DSC01593sml.jpg

DSC01581sml.jpg

DSC01591sml.jpg

DSC01578sml.jpg

back2deepblue:
Absolutely fabulous shots……talk about Kodak moments. Good job Blesi. I wonder what kind of camera you use?
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Blue. The photos were taken with a Sony F828 with an Ikelite housing. :)

Wonderful photos. Another big thanks for sharing them!

blesi varney:
We haven't seen Lefty in a long time. :(
I was trying to think of his name. Well that's a shame. I know we didn't see him there last fall :(

blesi varney:
Would that be at Molokini Reef's End? I believe this is the same hawksbill.

There was some surge one day and I happened to take these photos of it feeding. The photos are actually pretty comical. It was so intent on eating that the surge wasn't even a bother, even flipping it up to the point where it was upside down. It would come back down again and continue feeding.:rofl3:
Very cool...

I've run into him a few times at Molokini... he's usually not moving around much, just "digging" in a coral "pit" for food.

Looks like he needs to find a cleaning station, though... he's starting to grow hair on his back! :D

I just got back from vacation and was very happy to be greeted by at least 9 green turtles today at Makena Landing. They're so cool... Three cheers for the Honus of Maui! Nice shots Blesi!

Back
Top Bottom