How many versions of the Zeagle Ranger were there and when were the changes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Casually looking at Zeagle Rangers in the classified and fleabay, I see so many variations out there. There are some people that said there were only a few dives on it, but it either looks very different or slightly different from the pictures of new ones. I am wondering when certain changes were implemented so I can gauge how old certain ones are.

I've seen variations such as:
Straight strap vs curved strap
sternum strap
(the above, I read somewhere some ancient design)

Plastic D rings
D rings that bend outward
non-adjustable shoulder D ring
adjustable D ring that has dark adjusters vs shiny ones
no 2nd set of D ring by the plastic buckle.
weight pouches by the tank straps (are these just options?)

...plus, I assume things like the pivoting section below the shoulder strap buckle would soon be a feature, given it is on the LTD (odd, my 1997 Sherwood Outback had such a feature).

We've actually got a fairly comprehensive timeline of our products on the Zeagle website that I've been building up. You can find that list under the Support section of our website. Both BCs and regulators are covered and both lists are still kind of a work in progress. But I think you'll find the answer to your question in there, let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks...that was one of the pages I noticed reference to different versions. But listing of the Rangers are very spotty, with the prior one being the one with the blue bladder, going back to the 90's.

I don't see any that indicate the minute difference of additional D-rings, curved D-rings, plastic d-rings, plastic or metal D-ring retainer, rear weights, etc, since those are the most noticeable difference when someone post picutres. Maybe a wiki entry is in need?

Like I said, work in progress. Right now I'm working from the product catalogs that were produced yearly, my major focus was first to get the major changes and big products listed. At some point in the near future, maybe this winter, I hope to find the time to go back and revise some of the entries.

If there is something specific you need help in dating right now feel free to send me a PM, I can help you figure out the age on a specific Zeagle BC.

Since I don't know exactly when the curved shoulder strap came out, it would still consist of a very wide range of years. I can only assume the ones w/2 adj metal D ring, 2 more below below that (and maybe no roll down pocket) are 2009+.

The odd thing is everyone will give current MSRP as its price, no matter how old, thus some people will buy a 10+ yr old one for $300, which would probably be close to the MSRP from back then.

They hold their value quite well comparitively because they are well made and the older ones (with curved shoulders) dive just like the new ones.
This certainly adds value to the Lifetime Warranty to origional purchaser. Unlike other's, You can't kill it and if you can wear it out you will be proud of the service it gave you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom