• Yes, Always

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • No, never

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Sometimes, Depends on the situation

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It comes with a clamp and spacer that is sized to fit on a strobe mount. You can mount them on the same arm that you would mount a strobe on. I used a mount that was designed to put a Sea & Sea strobe on a Loc-line type flex mount for a while. Then I bought a specific mount to place the light on my "cold-shoe" at the top center of my housing. Some lights need to be drilled and bolted onto an adapter, some come with one. Ikelite doesn't seem to incorporate a "cold shoe", so you'll have to mount a light to your strobe attachment arm or a similar arrangement.

I always have my diffuser's on my dual Ikelite Ds125's as I perfer the warmer colour and also the spread which the diffusers give. The down side is that the built in modeling lights in the Ikelite strobes are basically useless when used with the defusser.

I too use the cheap little LED focusing light as stated above. Use it everytime with my marco lenses as often or not I need to get into darken areas to get the shot.

It comes with a clamp and spacer that is sized to fit on a strobe mount. You can mount them on the same arm that you would mount a strobe on. I used a mount that was designed to put a Sea & Sea strobe on a Loc-line type flex mount for a while. Then I bought a specific mount to place the light on my "cold-shoe" at the top center of my housing. Some lights need to be drilled and bolted onto an adapter, some come with one. Ikelite doesn't seem to incorporate a "cold shoe", so you'll have to mount a light to your strobe attachment arm or a similar arrangement.
As you can see in this link IKELITE AutoFlash Kit AF-35 Specifications the clamp and spacer will not work with this strobe. I may have to DIY it. I have seen a sort of cradle holder that you can adjust where it points, that I could bolt to the try between the strobe and housing. Anyone know of a source?

My P5000 seems to have some problems focussing in macro shots in our Green waters here in Chile, so Irecently picked up the Nano focus light. I also picked up these two items to mount it on my housing: a coldshoe (LINK) and a small coldshoe-YS mount (LINK). I haven't found the best way to attach the shoe to my housing, but I'm leaning towards some 3M Duallock tape (as soon as I can fugre out where to buy it down here and not need to but 50 yds or more!) or bonding a piece of plexiglass to the housing with pre tapped holes and just attaching the metal piece of the coldshoe to that (but I'm more inclined to wait until my warranty expires before bonding anything to the housing - just in case).

Here's a pic of how it looks (held in place with some standard doublesided tape that I had for work):
dscn2338small.jpg

and while I'm shamelessly plugging my rig, here's the rest:
dscn2341small.jpg

scotty-
i just recently picked up this RAM mount from cabelas I just zip tied it to my arm and the other end to my cheapo "focus light". looks like its gunna work really well

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 77
well, it appears as if mostly everyone uses a focus light at least some of the time. Currently have a ikelite housing (p5100 and AF 35 strobe - no built in focus light).

:rofl3: :rofl3:

There have been 213 views to this thread and it appears to me that the 13 people who use focus lights are the only ones who voted in the silly poll; I for one NEVER vote in polls. Your poll should have asked how many divers with the same rig as yours use a focus light.

I have only used Oly 5050 & Canon S70, neither of which require a focus light. That's one of the things I would look for in a P&S; if you can't stick it into a tight, dark hole and get a decent shot by just pointing and shooting, is it really a P&S?

well, it appears as if mostly everyone uses a focus light at least some of the time. Currently have a ikelite housing (p5100 and AF 35 strobe - no built in focus light. If I went with a cheap focus light (such as this one Fantasea Nano Focus Light #6022 ) How would one go about attaching it? Any ideas?
One option is to add this
1. Optical Ocean Ball & Joint Triple Clamp - Ball & Joint Arms & Clamps - Trays & Arms - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photography
3013.sm.jpg

and one of these
2. Lightweight 3.3" (8cm) B&J/Strobe Arm Segment - Ball & Joint Arms & Clamps - Trays & Arms - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photography
SH-33,4,6.sm.jpg

or the equivalent to hold your nano on your existing strobe arm, replacing your ikelite clamp. You can also use this if you add another strobe. If you want to, you can also mount the nano on its own arm.
And yes.. most people do not use a focus light so your poll results are not accurate, but those who do use them obviously think they are worthwhile.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

There have been 213 views to this thread and it appears to me that the 13 people who use focus lights are the only ones who voted in the silly poll; I for one NEVER vote in polls. Your poll should have asked how many divers with the same rig as yours use a focus light.

I have only used Oly 5050 & Canon S70, neither of which require a focus light. That's one of the things I would look for in a P&S; if you can't stick it into a tight, dark hole and get a decent shot by just pointing and shooting, is it really a P&S?
ok, point taken, as you can see by my first post, the people I dive with do not use focus lights,
but - "Do those that dive with a nikon p5100 use a focus light?" Are they helpfull/needed?

A month ago I was looking for a good way to attach my Fisheye focus light to my Ike housing (Nikon P5100). Previously I had it strapped to one of my strobes, but didn't like that rig. I planning to install a cold shoe on the top of the housing, but thought that I'd call Ikelite to see if they sold a cold shoe and how to attach.

Long story short, they do not sell a cold shoe and strongly recommend that you not attach anything to the top of the housing, esp. with any type of glue-interaction with the poly-car housing issue. It voids their warranty plus it may compromise the integrity of the housing.

So I settled for the three way clamp that frank delargy suggested. It has worked fine and is easy to adjust without moving my strobes.

Back
Top Bottom