• Yes, Always

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • No, never

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Sometimes, Depends on the situation

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know a lot of people stress the importance of a focus light, but I have never seen anybody actually use one, although where I have dove (north carolina) their is little macro photography. I will be going to Bonaire in July, where I will be hopefully taking macro photos, and I wanted to be sure to get the most out of my trip. How many people out there actually use one?

For accurate close focus with a point & shoot camera in dark conditions, it is pretty much an essential. I use a cheap little fisheye that shuts off when the strobe flashes to prevent hot spots.

I use it mostly on night macro dives and some supermacro dives.
Also if I know the area has some overhangs and caves I'd also use it.

For accurate close focus with a point & shoot camera in dark conditions, it is pretty much an essential. I use a cheap little fisheye that shuts off when the strobe flashes to prevent hot spots.

To be accurate this would be a better statement; "with most modern point & shoot cameras in Auto Mode, accurate close focus in dark conditions requires a focus light."

Of course we all might have a different definition of "close focus." :D

I used to (struggle to) use the focus beam on my Inon-Z240, but found it to be a very tight beam, and difficult to focus on the right spot - the strobe had to be perfectly positioned. Very annoying. Ended up using my HID primary light to (try and) focus, but that was also a pain having to focus then move my hand away to take the shot.

Then I found this LED focus light (Light & Optics). It also just happened that I was going to be in Hong Kong the very next week, so a quick detour to the warehouse, and I bought it. There's no store front, and they are definitely more a manufacturer and distributor than a retailre, but the lady who served me was very friendly and helpful.

And the light is great. Nice bright, and wide, beam. And as all focus lights should, it cuts out when the strobe fires. Of course it wouldn't be required (or particularly useful) for wide angle, but I still haven't got a wide angle dome (yet)

Here is a pic (http://froop.net/photos/uk-germany2/normal_IMGP3526.jpg) with more at Mark’s Stuff UK-Germany Housing

Then I found this LED focus light (Light & Optics).

Same little Fisheye LED that I'm using. They're about $59 for the basic unit, then you'll pay about another $70 for the cold shoe mount to put it on top of your housing. I got mine from Backscatter.

Mine is built into the DS125 and I use it on every night dive. It is not bright enough to scare most life away and will not show up in my shots.

What Steve said! :D

I was just going to post that the DS125 and higher Ikelite models all have built in focus/modeling lights. I generally leave it off on day dives for the most part, but it's also a modeling light, and comes in handy for strobe placement as well.

At night these can act as a primary light. You will burn through the battery faster leaving it on however. A dedicated focus light will generally be brighter vs. the light on the DS125, but a good focus light can run $450, so those shooting Ike strobes would need to decide as to if the additional expense is cost justified.

well, it appears as if mostly everyone uses a focus light at least some of the time. Currently have a ikelite housing (p5100 and AF 35 strobe - no built in focus light. If I went with a cheap focus light (such as this one Fantasea Nano Focus Light #6022 ) How would one go about attaching it? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom