How Many "Solo Divers" Begin and End Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I start with a buddy, well...I outta end the dive with the buddy...That's the way it works 'round here. (Even though sometimes I wish I didn't have to play by that rule)...
K

I am very surprised by these percentages. I would have bet fewer people started out solo. Are you all kayak, or shore diving? If you are going off a commercial boat...are you entering the water "with" other divers?

If you start solo, are you announcing this to others? or is it assumed?

For me, typically shore diving. I've solo'ed off commercial boats. The boats I've done this off of usually assume that their customers are diving solo. In fact, some of them are a little surprised if you do buddy up!

catherine96821:
I am very surprised by these percentages. I would have bet fewer people started out solo. Are you all kayak, or shore diving? If you are going off a commercial boat...are you entering the water "with" other divers?

If you start solo, are you announcing this to others? or is it assumed?

I typically don't announce my plan or leave a note. The last time I did this, I told a friend that I was gonna swim around the whole quarry and I'll be back in about two hours.

Other times, I'll feel "conspicuous," typically when I'm in doubles or more and every else is in a single, so I'll enter the water with a group of other divers so that it isn't too obvious. I do this mainly when there are lots of classes going on and I don't want to give the OW students the idea that it's OK to solo as long they paid for the fancy gear.

catherine96821:
Are many of you splashing with others and reserving the perogative to "do your own thing", or, are you kayaking out or shore diving literally all alone? trying to get an idea how prevalent solo diving is in the vicinity of others...dive boats...travel locations, etc.

99 % of the time I start my dive with others off the same boat. Half the time we finish together. 80 % of my dive cohorts are also "solo"...but we dive "together". Sort of. I would never consider shore diving alone, although I know many who do... I often consider the boat captain my "partner".

The reason this is important is that you might maximize your solo diving safety if you are implementing some buddy principles, at times. Thoughts?

When I decide I'm ready, I'll be doing mostly shore diving, alone. That said, I plan on minimizing my risk in many different ways. Perhaps the biggest risk reduction for me will be diving no deeper than 50 feet. I have already determined a number of the locatoins that fit my requirements. Now, one might say: "you are missing out on so many great dive locations by limitiing yourself in this way". For most, "great dive locations" include colorful wildlife, coral, or ships. For me, the water itself is a great dive location. I will no doubt do buddy diving on occasion to see a wider variety of the underwater world. However, I do not require this, as I am very easily entertained in the water. For me, all I need is the water itself. Given this, I seek simple, shallow dives because I will enjoy myself all the same.

I think that is a great plan.

I don't solo on my deepest dives.

50 ft. is very prudent, IMV.

I will start out on a boat with a group pf divers but the DM will make a point of telling the group not to worry if they don't see me because I'm taking pictures and have discussed it with him before the breifing.

I'm in Bali and was doing some solo shore dives for the first time in years, the shore part that is, but they were all in sight of the resort and I always carry an SMB. The people on shore knew where I was diving and should they have seen my SMB they knew I might need a hand. There was no boat traffic so I did not use it normally. That was at Scuba Seraya, Catherine.

If I am with a buddy however, I will curtail my photography so we can stay together if I have to because I believe buddy diving has to be that way. If the other buddy is a photographer, we are solo diving even though we might be in sight of each other and discuss this before we hit the water. I think it is important to set out exactly how you plan on diving before you splash and not have a "sort of" dive partner.

catherine96821:
I think that is a great plan.

I don't solo on my deepest dives.

50 ft. is very prudent, IMV.

At first I was shocked by the reply at "this time", because it's 2 AM here in GA, but now I see your location. If I lived in such a location, perhaps I would be more willing to "share" the underwater treasures at your disposal. :D ...BTW, on a serious note, sorry about your boyfriend/husband's friend who passed recently. I can't even imagine what happens to the mind when you lose someone that close. May he rest in peace.

thank-you very much.

When solo diving I almost always start solo and from shore. It's really hard to solo dive from a boat unless you (or a friend) own the boat or you work for the company that owns the boat. Most dive companies want nothing to do with solo diving for liability reasons. As far as safety goes, I think it's really important to tell someone who will check (1) where you're going (2) when you plan to get in (3) when you plan to get out (4) how you will confirm your return with them. In my opinion solo diving is no more dangerous than buddy diving IF you're a safe, cool headed, problem solving diver.
I do have to say that under NO circumstances should you leave your boat with no-one onboard unless you can swim EASILY to shore. I've been on boats most of my life and I've seen lines break, anchors drag, and sea conditions quickly change. A good solo diver (and boater) is always thinking about safety first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom