How many reps to do when strength training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
One question on the rep/ tone thing. If this is so, why do certain types of atheletes have long muscles (yoga) VS the bulked up look of a weight lifter? Stretching? Because now I am hearing there is no evidence about the benefits in relation to injuries, which really flys in the face of the conventional wisdom.

Catherine, hypertrophy is more of a function of time under tension and genetics than the type of activity once is engaged in. Saying that people engaged in Yoga develop long muscles and people engaged in weight training have bulky muscles is akin to saying that athletes engaged in basketball are tall because the sport made them tall.

If you look at your typical yoga studio, you will see that most of the regular participants lack the "long muscles" that are advertised heavily. By the same token, you will also find a lot of athletes engaged in resistance training displaying the so called "long, sleek" muscles. How developed muscles look is highly dependent on limb length in relation to torso length. Ie, you will never have a short athlete with short, stocky arms to display "long" muscles, no matter how many years of yoga they did. By the same token, it would be impossible for a tall, slender framed athlete to develop a super bulky physique, no matter how much time they spent lifting.

Hope this helps. Good seeing you again.

oh, thanks.

Those paddlers sure have nice chests, I did notice that.

Likewise Izzy! I am cycling with my Garmin. Haven't dialed in all the programs for workouts yet. The wind has been keeping me busy trying not to blow off the bike.

i alternate. something like low reps (4-8) with heavy weights for 4 weeks, then high reps (9-16) with lighter weights for 2 weeks. and a week off every once in a while. it may be that some muscle groups react better to different ranges, but either way, i think variation in your rep ranges every now and then is a good thing.

frankc420:
http://www.intense-workout.com/ <-- Check that out.

If you want the page that's specific to your question:

http://www.intense-workout.com/tone_definition.html

The site also claims you can lose 9lbs every 11 days and gain 15-20lbs muscle in 9 weeks. I don't think so.

Coach Izzy is deddnutzonnn with his comment about genetics; someone with the proper genetics will make nice gains relatively easily compared to someone who is more genetically gifted to be a long distance runner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom