Votes: 15 26.3%

Votes: 3 5.3%

Votes: 13 22.8%

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My class was 10 two-hour pool sessions with an optional 11th (which I needed).
Ber :lilbunny:

No, my course was regular LDS run PADI course. Pool work was dictated by pool availability. Local shops fight over few community pool hour offerings late at night. We had 1.5-2hrs of classroom work followed by 2hrs of pool work per night over 6 weeks.

u4ia:
Seems to me that lately I have happened to talk to many people who have only had 2 pool sessions in their basic training. They were maybe longer than mine (day-long even) but I was thinking to myself that I much preferred the way mine was organized. My course was half a dozen sessions spread over six weeks. This way I
I had 7 classes and probably a dozen pool sessions. Now I work for the shop. We have no limit on the number of classes or pool sessions. I think the record is about 2 years.

However once the students get certified they're typically contacted by the shop's staff to "go diving". It was years before I learned that the great guys who called up to see if I wanted to go out to the lake or up to the St. Lawrence were actually staff, helping me improve my skills, and finding cool local dives. :D

My favorite is to "just happen to notice" weight and trim problems with the new divers, and offer to help. There's nothing like watching somebody's face after getting them properly weighted and horizontal.

Terry

letsgodiving:
The shop paid for four evening sessions in a local diving pool, each session being about two hours long. Some of the group were done with the required skill at the beginning of the 2nd session, and others needed the full eight hours.

Our class handout said 6 sessions. Boy, was I mad when before the fifth instructor told us it will be our last because we have covered it all, and will just finish off one session earlier... Grrr...

I took my course during the winter, and it was also spread over several weeks. I liked it that way. Had time to take it all in but it was a loooong time to wait for the water to warm up for Open Water part...

piikki:
Our class handout said 6 sessions. Boy, was I mad when before the fifth instructor told us it will be our last because we have covered it all, and will just finish off one session earlier... Grrr...

I took my course during the winter, and it was also spread over several weeks. I liked it that way. Had time to take it all in but it was a loooong time to wait for the water to warm up for Open Water part...

LOL! It's funny because mine originally said 4 pool sessions. We ended up doing 7 pool sessions (3-4 hours each) with lectures after each pool session (2-3 hours). I was originally bummed that it was taking so long to get out to the ocean as each pool session was given only once a week. I'm thankful now for the extra time, dedication and effort he put into our OW class and giving us extra practice with our scuba and watermanship skills.

Perhaps the wording is the reason for someone checking 0. The training is called Confined Water, which is pool or pool-like conditions. There are many divers who never trained in a pool. Shallow calm clear lakes and protected ocean also qualify as confined water.

PADI training is broken up into 5 CW sessions, but they may run together with exits and entries the dividing line. Breaking down and setting up gear is recommended to give students time to warm up, hydrate and eliminate. You may only go to CW once, and do all the skills in a seemingly continuous training, but you are progressing through the 5 sessions.

My open water one class was four weeks of three nights a week in the pool and classroom. At the time I thought itwas excessive but in retrospect the amount a time spent in the pool helped with my skills more than i thought it would

We had pretty much finished all the skills a pool session earlier than required in our month-long course, and the instructor asked us if we wanted to just have the last scheduled pool night off. The answer was a solidly unanimous "not a chance!" (Hey, they may be pool dives, but it was still diving, and *nobody* takes away our diving! :D)

letsgodiving:
It just depends on the students and instructor.
And the location. When learning to dive on holiday, you'll typically do 2 sessions, covering the 5 modules (PADI). Normally in a resort setting it's gonna be a 4 day course (sometimes 3 day).

Back
Top Bottom