How many pool dives before OW dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swmarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am taking the class through my school and we have 1 lab (3hrs) and 1 lecture (1hr) a week for 15 weeks. So, by the time I am done I will have had about 10-12 pool dives before we hit the open water. Is this about normal or way above it?

That sounds about right for a school program. Ber Rabbit, who is a member here teaches a university program. She could answer definitively.

well above. consider yourself fortunate that you will be well prepared for your U/W fun!

It's above normal. A good shop tries to get 4 to 8 pool sessions I've discovered. Others will do one pool session, others head for open water and consider the checkout dives training dives.

The Uni/School we taught at had a 13 2 hour pool 1 hour class format.
One of the shops I taught at had a 6 Sunday 2 hour pool, a 3 Wensday 4 hour pool and a 6 hour Sat/Sun pool.

The College class had more pool time for sure but did not neccesaraly(sp) produce better divers!
The all cheerleader class wore me down (wouldn't listen) but was fun.

You might be AOW when you hit the open water......from what I'm hearing, that's way above the average---which for you is good.......

My class did four pool sessions before the first 2 OW dives, then 2 more and the second two OW dives. I could definitely have used more.

Here at UMT we teach once a week, 2 hours per night, for 13 weeks. 5 weeks for classroom and the rest for the pool. After finals we'll take the students out for their check-out dives over a weekend.

C

good to know. I wouldn't worry about the class producing poor divers my instructor runs to pool sessions like a drill Sargent. I haven't done so many push ups since high school.

I haven't done so many push ups since high school.

Of course, there's a lot more to diving than push-ups, but you're getting way more class time (both wet and dry) than many. I had four CW dives (2-2.5 hrs each), home study with basic in-class review of knowledge review quizzes, and four cert dives in two days over a weekend (the cert dives were pretty cursory - demonstrate prescribed skills and done).

I came away having met the standards (and holding a card), but not much else.:shakehead:

Yours sounds like a good class - enjoy it. I'm jealous!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom