How many people "over fill" Steel 72's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't overfill my 1960's vintage tank, but I don't have its "+" rating current either. If I did, I would overfill it 10% as laws permit.

I don't mind if mine is slightly overfilled to compensate for the cool down but as a matter of fact I don't ask for it to be overfilled so as to have this much over gas to start the dive.

All steel tanks can be + rated from certain hydro centers if the pass the + hydro test. If thaey can't pass that test I wouldn't really want the tank anyway.

Well, it is certainly not on purpose, but the semi-LDS I take my tanks to have filled my 72s to 3000. Just not paying attention. I will have to have a talk with them when I go there this week.

I am a licensed hydrotester who also dives some older steel 72's. As far as overfills go, I don't have a problem filling to 2700 so that they cool down to about 2475-2500. As far as the + rating goes, yes, all older steel tanks (except the HP ones) can be tested for it but, as mentioned above, the paperwork is a hassle because of the math & measurements involved so most shops just don't want to mess with it. Also, if we mess up anywhere in our calculations, when our paperwork get checked by the DOT, we get to pay a nice LARGE fine.

The older steel tanks seem to handle the pressure a little differently than the newer low pressure tanks. I don't feel comfortable filling them to 3000 on anything resembling a regular basis. I have just seen to many of them wind up with too great of a permanent expansion during hydrotesting to push my luck that far. On my newer LP tanks, on the other hand, I don't have a problem with 3000 & have never seen it affect them negatively. Now, I'm SURE others out there have a different opinion on that as well. This is just my opinion so keep in mind what you paid for it & take it for what it is worth.

James

When I take mine into the lds I don't really have a say to what pressure they fill them to ... I drop them off and when I pick them up they have always come back at 2900-3100 psi after cooling ... they put 32 tanks on at a time and turn the compressor on - I don't think anyone checks what type of tank, even though they fill a lot of older 72's ... at least it gives me lots of air ... but I don't store these in my truck out in the sun ... they go into my air conditioned room till needed :wink:

When I take mine into the lds I don't really have a say to what pressure they fill them to ... I drop them off and when I pick them up they have always come back at 2900-3100 psi after cooling ... they put 32 tanks on at a time and turn the compressor on - I don't think anyone checks what type of tank, even though they fill a lot of older 72's ... at least it gives me lots of air ... but I don't store these in my truck out in the sun ... they go into my air conditioned room till needed

Actually, you do have a say. The fact that they are ignorant of safe filling habits doesn't mean you should not tell them each time, "these tanks are only rated to 2250". If they ignore you, then they have explicitly taken on the risk. But, the pump jocky's loved ones might thank you.

Jerry

Whitelightnin:
I am a licensed hydrotester who also dives some older steel 72's. As far as the + rating goes, yes, all older steel tanks (except the HP ones) can be tested for it.....

I'm not too sure that this is entirely correct. Only those steel tanks bearing the plus rating at the initial manufacturers hydro can be retested to a plus rating. For example, I have a nice set of steel 38 doubles with a pressure rating of 1800 psi with no original plus rating. They cannot now be magically calc'd for a plus rating.
Yea or Nea?

I will fill mine to about 2600 so that they are at 2475 psi when they cool to room temp, but I would not consider pushing them beyond that or filling them faster with a higher temporary pressure.

old LP72's.
no no no no
and im a overfill nut.
now newer 72's
i have 4 faber 72's that see 3500+ often
i have a old LP72 that gets just what it calls for.. (i never use it anyway)
i have some HP 80's that get 3500. mabe 3600 or so during the fill... and cool down
and then i have faber LP98's yeah those get 3500...

Back
Top Bottom