How many people "over fill" Steel 72's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
How many people over fill the older steel 72's?
are you serious? If you have your own compressor and lots of sandbags maybe but if you do it at someone elses dive shop you are putting others at risk

If a hydro testing facility wants to do so, a steel tank can be certified as "+", or 10% over the rated pressure. A plus rating is not a one-time only matter. However, I am told that there is more paperwork involved and many stations won't do it.

The place that does my steel 72's won't, so I have them filled to 2250psi, which is less than 71.2 ft3.

You could purchase your own compressor and do what you want. But I'd find some photos of exploded tanks and look at them very carefully before I'd overfill any tank.

I fill my own tanks. I have 2 Norris Steel 72's. They are not higher pressure tanks that were de-rated. I fill to 2250, they cool to 2100 or 2000 and that's the way I dive them.

Jerry

garyfotodiver:
If a hydro testing facility wants to do so, a steel tank can be certified as "+", or 10% over the rated pressure. A plus rating is not a one-time only matter. However, I am told that there is more paperwork involved and many stations won't do it.
So, a + fill is sometimes not a matter of safety, but of paperwork. Meaning that the tank may actually be safe to "overfill".

That should save money on the sandbags.

Curt Bowen:
All my old 72's are converted to 100% Oxygen stages
...which you fill to what PSI???

mike_s:
How many people over fill the older steel 72's?

I have collected several old 72's that are in good shape. I have 7 pairs of them that I have put together in doubles sets. For "serious" dives I use double 95's, but the 72's are so easy to dive that they are my favorite rig. I fill them myself, but I don't go past the plus rating (cold at 2475 psi). The low pressure 95's I generally fill to 3000 psi and will go higher if the dive plan calls for it.

wedivebc:
are you serious? If you have your own compressor and lots of sandbags maybe but if you do it at someone elses dive shop you are putting others at risk

I didn't say I did it.... I've never overfilled mine. in fact I hardly use them.

I just heard a discussion about it and was curious how common practice it was...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom