How many people love Vintage Equipment Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxfbx-aNzc

ANDRE LABAN 2015, 50 ans de Précontinent III, 50 ans de peinture sous-marine
English translation of the title:

LABAN 2015, 50 years of Précontinent III, 50 years of underwater paint

For those who don't know, Andre Laban was one of Jacque Cousteau's principal divers, and was on Precontinent II and Precontinent III, also known as Conshelf Three. It was written up in the April 1966 National Geographic Magazine, and on it's cover (see below). It would be really great if someone could translate this dialog with Mr. Laban into English subtitles. He is apparently talking about both his underwater art and the Conshelf Three experiments in underwater living.

SeaRat

Attachments

• ConShelf III001.jpg
    ConShelf III001.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 211
Did my first double hose dive today. Loved it; I'm hooked.
Had the reg a little high, so breathing was tougher. Tomorrow the OxyCheq wing goes on my VDH plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the reg a little high, so breathing was tougher. Tomorrow the OxyCheq wing goes on my VDH plate.

Trust me, you will love the VDH plate as it places the cans in the right position when using a back inflate wing. I personally like to use the VDH plate when diving it as a modern rig. When I dive vintage exclusively though, I like to either use no BC or sometimes use a horsecollar bc vest. Welcome to the DH darkside.

Welcome to DH diving.
Just curious, how is you DA set up? I am guessing Phoenix, HPR and maybe a duckbill eliminator? You should remove the hoses, flush them out and make sure they are dry before storing them. If I am diving for several days I just rinse them on the cans but if they are not going to be used for a couple of days or more, I rinse (flow through) them in warm water, sling them around to remove as much water as possible then hang them from the mouthpiece to drain/dry before storing them. You don't want to store them wet as they will grow bad things if you do. If you have not seen it, I posted a "how to"
on hose setup on VDH a while back, you might find it useful.

Welcome to DH diving.
Just curious, how is you DA set up? I am guessing Phoenix, HPR and maybe a duckbill eliminator? You should remove the hoses, flush them out and make sure they are dry before storing them. If I am diving for several days I just rinse them on the cans but if they are not going to be used for a couple of days or more, I rinse (flow through) them in warm water, sling them around to remove as much water as possible then hang them from the mouthpiece to drain/dry before storing them. You don't want to store them wet as they will grow bad things if you do. If you have not seen it, I posted a "how to"
on hose setup on VDH a while back, you might find it useful.

herman,

You are correct Sir.
- Phoenix
- HPR
- Duckbill Eliminator

Thread update here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...tsways-backplate-post7399678.html#post7399678

I'm going to keep it in cold fresh water for the summer, but I'll do like you said and store with hoses off and clean out mouth piece properly.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

By the way, when you remove the hoses, run the warm water into both the horns of the cans. I fill the main body, slosh it around, drain and repeat it I have been in salt water. That gets the salt out of the reg and helps a LOT in keeping it corrosion free. I set the reg on it's horn to drain with the hoses.

Fresh water is fun but I know of a trip to Coz this fall that has a bunch of double hosers on it.....shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Much better dive today.
Set up the VDH plate with the reg positioned lower. Much easier breathing. Thoroughly enjoyed my dive.

(30lb. OxyCheq Extreme Wing & Highland Cam Bands)

This was the LP72 w/fresh Hydro and rebuilt J-valve.

Lake temp at 20ft was 51*F; wore 5mm over Lavacore top/bottom. Henderson 5/7 hooded vest over that. 12lbs of lead.

Looking forward to learning how to ditch my wing on these shallow lake dives.

Leaning no BC diving is fairly easy. Just get your weight dead on...I prefer to be exactly neutral at half tank pressure which puts me a couple of pounds overweight at the beginning of the dive. If you are diving a wet suit you will likely be slightly underweighted at the surface so expect to swim down the first 10 ft or so, the couple of extra pounds helps there. Breathing off a double hose should be long, slow, deep and rhythmic, more so than most people do with a single hose reg. Use this to your advantage by varying your breathing, both in depth and cadence to shift your effective neutral point. Long slower and deeper inhales followed by quicker, shallower exhales will shift your effective neutral point positive, conversely, long slower, deeper exhales followed by quicker, shallower inhales will shift your effective neutral point negative. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes natural. I suggest you start learning by getting your weigh proper for no BC diving, removing ALL of the air out of your BC and diving as if you didn't have it, doing so on a single hose works just as well. That way if you get uncomfortable or feel out of control, you can revert back to using it if needs be. Once you get comfortable diving that way, then you can drop the bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom