How many own a O2 analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am scheduled to start a nitrox class in about 2 weeks. For those of you that already dive with nitrox, how many of you own your own O2 analyzer? I don't know if I should purchase one or not. Wouldn't a dive shop that was filling the tank have an analyzer that I could use to test the mixture when I picked up the tank?

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Ann Marie:
I am scheduled to start a nitrox class in about 2 weeks. For those of you that already dive with nitrox, how many of you own your own O2 analyzer? I don't know if I should purchase one or not. Wouldn't a dive shop that was filling the tank have an analyzer that I could use to test the mixture when I picked up the tank?

Thanks!

I own an Oxycheq analyzer ... but I also teach Nitrox classes, so it's something I needed to have.

To answer your question, yes ... any shop that sells Nitrox will have an analyzer that you can (and should) use to analyze your gas mix when you pick up the cylinder. In fact, if they are doing things properly you will be REQUIRED to analyze your cylinder when you pick it up, and sign the Nitrox log book to show that you analyzed the gas before you left the shop.

So it is not normally necessary for the average Nitrox user to own their own analyzer (although it's a nice thing to have).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Def agree with above.....

My problem is I dont get our enough to justify the cost and the once a year replacement. Gets a too bit tasty money wise for the little nitrox diving I do.

I have one that I built from a kit. It works just fine. The "new" sensors last a lot longer than the old ones. It should last about four years rather than one like it used to be. I also keep mine in a sealed bag to slow the procees even more. I feel much more comfortable using one that I know where it has been rather than one that gets used all of the time. Also the ones in the shop seem to always be out of calibration. I do not think that most people that try to use them really know what is going on.

I own one since I try to dive nitrox on every dive. I like being able to analyze while I'm kitting up. I know exactly what is in the tank right before I dive it. Gives me a good piece of mind that sticker didn't get messed up along the way or switched around.

Matt

I've got my own O2 analyzer, and I use it fairly frequently. Having it is partially for convenience, and partially because I'm neurotic.

In terms of convenience, my analyzer has a much faster response time than the one at my LDS, so it speeds up the analysis process. Also, I often downblend my nitrox tanks, particularly my pony. After a dive where I've just breathed down part of a tank, I get it topped up with air (LDS has a compressor set up to produce O2-compatible air) and then analyze it for my next dive.

In terms of being neurotic, I know that I can trust my analyzer. When I'm diving other places and getting nitrox from a different provider, it's good to be able to check the concentration with my own instrument. They mix it, but I have to breathe it...

Ann Marie:

Thanks!
Ann Marie,

I own my own, also an Oxycheq unit that I bought off Scott Koplin. It works great, and its often real convenient to have your own.

But each diver in a group doesn't need their own. Perhaps if you always dive with a certain buddy the two of you could split one; or your club could get one.

Still, on a busy day in the dive shop, the last thing you need is to wait around to use the shops' analyzer.

I'm certain that your instructor will emphasize the point repeatedly, but one of the most important things about diving nitrox or trimix is gas management. Really smart divers have been killed by grabbing or switching to the wrong cylinder, generally an unmarked or mislabeled tank.

If you're going to become anal about anything connected with nitrox diving, become anal about gas management: analyzing your gas and properly marking all your cylinders. For a very few bucks more, see if your LDS wouldn't run you through their gas blender course so you can fill your own nitrox. FWIW, I doubt you'll regret having the knowledge and familiarity with the topic to be completely confident about what you're breathing.

One way or another, I'd recommend you have access to an analyzer - either your own or one purchased through some arrangement with your dive buddies.

As always, YMMV.

I just ordered the DIY kit. I am diving Nitrox a lot more, and have had to rely on someone having one on site if the markings got wet or unreadable. This can happen as I get my tanks filled then have them ready for the next dive.

So what is the deal about the analyzers only lasting a year or two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom