How many of you use manual focus when shooting?

Do you use manual focus on your digital camera when shooting?

• Yes, its all I shoot with

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No, its too difficult to deal with

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the poll. On your digital rigs, how many of you use the manual focus when shooting?

I have an Olympus 3040 and have tried the manual focus - but as some of you may agree, its quite difficult to get it just right!

Anyone have any tips?

I've used the manual focus only a few times, never underwater and it's a hassle. One reason I upgraded to digital was for the autofocus. Contrary to some beliefs, the autofocus is excellent.

Hello,

I primary use manual focus. However I don't shoot digital so I may not be qualified to post on this thread. Many cameras autofocus will easily fail when underwater as they tend to focus on things you don't want them to focus on, like back scatter. Manual focus and use of the hyperfocal distance then approach your target is the easiest way to go. When the action gets tense it's the best all around approach. With auto focus you have an extra step involved. However rarely do I use the viewfinder on non-macro shots.

Ed

I started with a Nikon N90s in a housing, and have now switched to a pro-digital SLR (Nikon D1X). I have used autofocus almost exclusively since starting to shoot underwater - not because manual focus is too difficult, but because I found I could focus much faster with autofocus. My eyesite isn't what it used to be and determining when the focus is correct takes too long.

But I don't always focus directly on the center of the subject. Many scenes, particularly macro, require management of depth-of-field. So I will often estimate the depth of field required, adjust the aperture, and then focus on a point in the scene which, based on the hyperfocal distance, will insure that all the parts of the scene that I want sharp are in focus.

I will admit that I have occassionally had problems with the autofocus not locking in (too low contrast, too much backscatter, other foreground objects, etc.), but this has happened seldom enough that it hasn't bothered me too much.

One of the big problems with the Olympus series of cameras (or for any mid priced digital cam for that matter) - is shutter lag.

On these cameras its primarily due to two or three things - the autofocus, the flash recharging, and if you have the camera in P, or "Picture" mode, than the apeture and shutter speed setting.

I'm trying to learn how to shoot in complete manual mode (including focus), since the shutter lag is reduced somewhat - which allows for some great shots! But it is tough - which is why I was wondering if anyone else is frustrated with the manual focus on digital cameras (really tough to judge if it is focused or not).

I'd imagine that the high dollar models (such as the new Nikon) tend to work better......

Just my $.02......

Hello,

Manual focus is about the only way to go underwater due to optical quality and water conditions. If your in pristine water conditions autofocus will be ok but still not as good as on land. Remember that the camera was never designed to be taking underwater. In poor visibility the autofocus will fail on all cameras, it's just a question of what conditions.

About the best thing you could do is use the hyperfocal distance and practicaly forget about the distance.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
Hello,

Manual focus is about the only way to go underwater due to optical quality and water conditions. If your in pristine water conditions autofocus will be ok but still not as good as on land. Remember that the camera was never designed to be taking underwater. In poor visibility the autofocus will fail on all cameras, it's just a question of what conditions.

About the best thing you could do is use the hyperfocal distance and practicaly forget about the distance.

Ed

really?

what cods!!

in that case every person that shoots digital in autofocus on this site will not have a decent picture among them......i don't think so!

every picture on my website (i.e. every keeper is autofocus), yeah some don't come out too good, but more often than not it is due to shutter lag and fish buggering off or me moving between pressing and taking due to drifting.

bruehlt once bubbled...

I'm trying to learn how to shoot in complete manual mode (including focus), since the shutter lag is reduced somewhat - which allows for some great shots...

I highly recommend learning how to shoot in manual mode. I only ever shoot in manual mode, although I still use the autofocus feature. You might try using a modeling light as well, as I think that helps somewhat in letting you see if your subject is in focus and in helping the camera's autofocus work better.

Autofocus works on the contrast of the area you are metering - the problems in using autfocus are mainly when trying to autofocus on a subject which has liitle contrast with its background (i.e. a sandy coloured nudibranch againts a sandy background) the system cannot find what its supposed to AF on.

If you have this problem then it easier to buy a modelling light than move to Manual focus with a digital camera. I use film in a big old housing and when shooting extreme macro (with an extreme lack of DOF) even the modelling light does not work well - I have to flick into manual and then move the camera to find focus.

I use both. Though I don’t use manual very often. I mostly shoot with a housed Nikon F-100 (though I do have, and occasionally use a Nikonos V and a housed Nikon 995 digital). Of course with the Nic V, manual is all you have. The auto focus on the F-100 coupled to a Nikon 60mm or 20mm is exceptional even underwater. Coupled to a 105mm it’s still very very good, but will hunt a little more. The auto focus works so well, I quit putting on the manual focus gears since I rarely use manual focus. On rare occasions when manual focus is necessary, I simply focus on something close to the target, switch auto off, and move the camera in or out to attain critical focus. Works well for me, though it may be way out of some one else’s “box”. . Oh, and as cmdasia says, modeling lights help in poor conditions, that’s why I use Ikelite SS100 and SS200 strobes. As always, this is just MHO, others mileage may, and probably will, vary ;-}

Back
Top Bottom