How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming.

Mk, how old was the battery? Lithiums usually have a pretty long shelf life. I'd like to get a Petrel too, besides being an awesome dive comp, I really like the battery flexibility.

I owned the battery less than a year. The Saft LS14500 batteries can be a little tough to come by. I bought it from a brick and mortar battery store. I have over 100 hours on the current battery. My current back up battery just turned over a year old.

I've had good luck with the Energizer lithium disposable batteries in the Petrel. They seem to last ~75 hours. I typically dive in temperate to warm water, 68-96F.

My cave instructor Edd may have converted me over to Duracell Quantum batteries. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJcvwPTOLSI&feature=share

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you haven't had one would you like DM Tom did say how long you've been using your comp and maybe the model, if you don't mind?

Aladin Prime (now subgear 3G) 7 years no problems until I lost it two weeks ago.
Subgear XP-H 2 years no problems
Subgear XP-3G 1 year - awesome computer, did my Stage Deco/Tec 40/45 with it.

I owned the battery less than a year. The Saft LS14500 batteries can be a little tough to come by. I bought it from a brick and mortar battery store. I have over 100 hours on the current battery. My current back up battery just turned over a year old.

I've had good luck with the Energizer lithium disposable batteries in the Petrel. They seem to last ~75 hours. I typically dive in temperate to warm water, 68-96F.

My cave instructor Edd may have converted me over to Duracell Quantum batteries. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJcvwPTOLSI&feature=share

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It may have been on the shelf there for a while, i can't imagine that being a mover. I buy mine on ebay and try to find a seller that has newer batteries.

My Suunto Cobra capped out on me again this weekend. The second time in a year. I've had it about for years and just recently had to get the depth sensor replaced. This time it is blowing air out from the base of the computer. It started as soon as i turned the tank valve on. Good thing I had a spare.

Last edited:
My Suunto Cobra capped out on me again this weekend. The second time in a year. I've had it about for years and just recently had to get the depth sensor replaced. This time it is blowing air out from the base of the computer. It started as soon as i turned the tank valve on. Good thing I had a spare.

Two is one, one is none...

As a purely rec. diver I had a Suunto Gekko fail after 150 dives. Screen went blank ( it was not the battery). Completed dive and dumped it! (I knew depth, time, plan, deco., site).

My Mares Nemo Wide was working perfectly for over a year and then randomly flooded on a dive. It hadn't been dropped nor had a recent battery change. I was gutted as I really liked the big display :(

One computer since 1992 never failed.

My soon to be retired Galileo Sol has had two fairly severe failures, both occurring during a dive. The first happened when the computer was about 50 dives old and 20 minutes into a dive I realised that I had achieved unparalleled air consumption (it has wireless AI) - primarily because the screen had frozen at the five minute mark. Quite recently I had another failure, on the computer's dive number 190, the screen went dead at the start of a dive and nothing I did at depth got it out of brick mode. When I tried switch it on after surfacing an error 32 message appeared on screen. In each case the battery indicator showed a full (or close to full) charge before failure and after speaking to the agents here both failures necessitated it being sent in for repairs.
I also have an old Scubapro Xtender, which after getting the Sol I used as a back up. I stopped doing so because - after a while - no matter what the profile of either dive during a two-dive day, it inevitably went into deco on the second one.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom