How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really want to invest in an 02 analyzer as well as an CO analyzer soon. That being said I only test tanks at the dive store if I get nitrox and make sure there is a sticker on that particular tank. Yes there is room for improvement and not testing is pretty dumb. Investments in scuba are sometimes expensive. Surely it's time to invest.

Quick note: I'm about to purchase a Sensorcon CO analyzer. It's not scuba specific, but it's waterproof, drop proof, accurate from 1ppm on up, and like a third the price of scuba-specific units. If you find a better one that's not crazy expensive, let me know!

Quick note: I'm about to purchase a Sensorcon CO analyzer. It's not scuba specific, but it's waterproof, drop proof, accurate from 1ppm on up, and like a third the price of scuba-specific units. If you find a better one that's not crazy expensive, let me know!

This one?

Cabon Monoxide Scuba Tank Analyzer

If I am using an unlabelled tank meant for air then I analyze only for CO not O2.

Any other cylinder gets checked for O2 and CO.

Yup. If you do a quick search, you'll see a few threads with great reviews.

Too bad they do not have a DIN option. At least not that I could see.

It appears in the photo that there is a DIN plug that screws into the yoke adapter, so you should be good to go for DIN.

I see what you are saying. I missed that. I wonder if they will knock a bunch off as a DIN kit and they can keep the DIN/Yoke adapter :hm:. No more hijacking of the thread.....sorry.

How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?

Does this question point to an inherent fault in our training process from day one of Open Water training?​

When I was not Nitrox certified (first 8 years) I didn't even know to analyze air. Even after my nitrox class I never analyzed air tanks. The local shops do PPB. Adding oxygen costs them money. So they have a different connection to fill nitrox (and trimix).

Additionally, to calibrate the analyzer we use a tank of air. What if the tank wasn't air?

At some point we have to trust the person filling tanks knows which tanks are air and which are not.

I have never heard of someone getting nitrox when they should have air. I have personally gotten the wrong percentages on a nitrox fill (got a 47% when I wanted a 28%, got a 24% when I wanted a 36%).

Also, at the larger dive destinations around here, the fill station I use has air in one building and nitrox/trimix in a completely different building.

Additionally, to calibrate the analyzer we use a tank of air. What if the tank wasn't air?

At some point we have to trust the person filling tanks knows which tanks are air and which are not.
[/QUOTE]

I never use tank of air for calibration for the reason stated by you above. I just use ambient air.
No we do not have to trust anyone including ourselves :) Analyzing the tank before the dive removed that necessity of trusting anybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom