How many mm for diving in Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triciad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to Australia in a few weeks and am thinking about bringing a wetsuit with me. Here in Canada we have nice thick ones, but on holidays I was hoping to just bring a shortie. Any suggestions on which thickness I should use? I'll be mostly near Brisbane. Any suggestions on dive sites near there would be great too!!

Glad you gave your location in Australia since it is a big continent with differing temps in different areas. Haven't been to Brisbane but I dove 3mm shorties on the GBR in March.

Dr. Bill

I have used 3mm shorties out of the whitsundays ( a bit north Of Brisbane) and further north on the GBR from Cape Tribulation. Both places had good reef diving with lots of colourful corals and reef fishes.

For diving in June in Brisbane, I'd want AT LEAST at least a full 3mm with hood and vest. A 5mm might not be out of the question either. Then again, everyone's different when it comes to exposure protection needs so it's difficult to say. I can only tell you what I need.

Morty

I was just diving north of Brisbane up in Yeppon which is like a 6 hour train ride from brizzy and I used 3mm shortie and I was pretty warm, but then again im a big guy and some of the other people I was diving with were freezing. Being from canada I would think you could handle it though :wink:

Cheers
Vinny

I think the Canadian thing probably helps. I grew up in Cairns and when you live your life in a tropical climate, it becomes difficult to get aclimatised to the cold. None the less I still can't help feeling you'd be mad to try diving in 3mm shorty during winter in Brisbane!

triciad:
I'm heading to Australia in a few weeks and am thinking about bringing a wetsuit with me. Here in Canada we have nice thick ones, but on holidays I was hoping to just bring a shortie. Any suggestions on which thickness I should use? I'll be mostly near Brisbane. Any suggestions on dive sites near there would be great too!!

Dived in June on the GBR a couple of years back. Very windy and choppy conditions. Water temp was 20-22 C. The rentals were 5 mm shorties, and I was none too warm, even though I am used to cold water. I would say go for a 5 mm full suit, and a hood just in case.

Triciad,

Things are good here right now. The water temps are holding up unusually good for this time of year. I did a dive yesterday in 21° C. (about 70° F) water in New South Wales, about 1,500 miles SOUTH of the GBR. You'll be fine with a 3 mil. up north.

Conditions are fantastic right now.

shep- oh, and thanks for the heads up on the airfare from Vancouver. Bring hot sauce!- as there's none worth eating here! HELP! :D

If you can dive in a wetsuit in Vancouver, you can handle a shortie even in that area :wink: That's all I wore. It was March/April, and it will be a bit cooler where you'll be, and at that time of year... but here at home (call me a wuss, but) I NEED a dry suit.
I can't help you site info. though cause I didn't dive around Brisbane. Still, I'm envious :) You will have a fabulous time!

P.S. My name is Debbie, and I am an Ausoholic. hehe. In case anyone's noticed, whenever there is an Australia thread going I always have to get in on it! Sorry, can't be helped! Luv the country!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom