How many is too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You forgot the best question.... "What time does the 9 am boat leave?"

the 4 trips I have been on were group trips with the LDS. 3 In the 15 range and 1 that had 25. The 15 or less used 1 boat, big boat with plenty of room. The other trip had 2 boats. People when on land broke into smaller groups, doing what they wanted. My trips were all-inclusive resorts. We would still wander away from the resort for dinner. The last night there we did all get together as a group for dinner though. It was fun! I have met several people on these trips that I remain in contact with and one that is going on my next trip (with the group) to Grand Cayman. A few I don't care if I ever see again, very few though. Since my wife doesn't dive he is going to be my buddy, like he was on the last trip. I like to socialize and meet new folks. These kinds of trips suit me for now. That is not to say that I wouldn't have fun in a small group.

We are all saying (about) the same thing. :D
I think there should a simple correction... A bunch or divers should be referred to as a "School" or "Pod", not "Herd". (even on shore)

In New Zealand, the accepted collective noun for a group of divers is a "faff"
This accurately conveys the requiste amount of "faffing around" divers do whether solo or in the company of other divers. NB this "faffing" can be applied to any action even vaguely related to diving.

I have to say I generally find divers to be an awesome bunch of people regardless of background, even tech divers have their positive attributes! That being the case, any number between 4 and 20 is good in my experience, after that you miss opportunites to take the p***, which is just a waste.

You forgot the best question.... "What time does the 9 am boat leave?"
Oh, if you're in the red sea or similar places that could be anytime between 8am and noon :rofl3:

Five other people, that's the most I want to have to coordinate with unless there is a clear and enforceable chain of command (e.g., on expedition or cruise).

I am not sure it matters how may people I travel with as long as they don't crowd the boat. The first Scubaboard Invasion I did was not bad. The second and third the boats were packed to the point I did not do a fourth. I honestly enjoy going out when the boat is not full to the Gills. I have done a few trips where they had enough divers to have the trip, but basically were light. That's what I like.

The captain can choose the number he takes out, so this can be controlled. I have found however that most captains will go with as much as the boat can hold assuming the charter sells out.

My experience so far is if we can get a large group, we are likely the only group on the boat. I like it that way. I know the divers from our shop. We are great friends and we enjoy telling about our dives after. It doesn't matter during the dives. We pair off into buddy groups of 2, or 3 max if we have an odd number. And we just enjoy ourselves.

If liveaboard for me depends on the size of the boat 18 is the largest number Ive been with, it wasnt very well organised and they always had everyone gearing up at the same time ignoring my suggestion to maybe stagger, it was a pain with everyone banging into each other etc. The smallest number LB Ive done was with 9 and it was fabulous. Ive done a day boat with around 42 again everyone gearing up at the same time it was an absolute CF the worst diving experience Ive ever had. Im now always very careful to enquire before hand how many are on the boat and boat size. Most local dive trip boats are small so maybe 8-10 still a little crowded due to boat size but managable as we stagger entry. My ideal number would be 6-8 on a big a.s boat. If shore/lake diving I dont care as we always break into smaller groups and dive our own plan.

Note* except local these are trips Ive joined not groups Ive made.

Two years ago, my GF went to Bonaire as part of a 30 folks gaggle. It did not take long for the group to split into similar affinities sub groups (experience level, maturity level, chemistry, etc.)

Last year, we literally built a group of initially 18 for a week on Blackbeard. Interestingly enough, we got the folks to meet and dive a couple times before we ended up packed altogether as a big family for a full week on a 65 ft sailboat and very little privacy. All was fine until somebody punched out at the 11th hour (I will revisit this one). Blackbeard provided a replacement, 40 something experienced Spaniard diver who got teamed up with one of my friend who is learning Spanish....and we had a great week. Not so for the other boat which ended up with 22 folks travelling as separate singles and couples and their trip was not as enjoyable based on the comments that I heard back in Nassau.

This year, we are organizing a two week diving trip to Bonaire that will take place in Feb 2012. 10 folks max as this is the maximum number of folks we had in mind and it is also what the villa will accommodate. Not necessarily easy to find 10 folks who all have similar skills and experience, get along well, all have time off and want to spend two weeks at a time. So we have a solid core of seven and some electrons that are still gravitating around and have not committed yet.

Lessons learned...probably next trip we plan will be the hardcore individuals of our group. Not in terms of Extreme diving but folks who do enjoy diving, are great to be around, have no fear to commit and will remain committed ie not punched out at the last minute. This is probably the most frustrating part of being a volunteer organizer who does it just for the fun of it and with no fringe benefits except the great company we end up with and the diving of course.

What I do in between...diving trips of two with my GF. Very easy to coord and enjoyable...until you meet a group of 46 (30 something divers) at the airport not only going to the same destination but also residing at the same hotel and once there behaving like they own the place...and the boats. :D

Any group larger then 1 can be uncomfortable and hard to manage...but maybe I just haven't found the right group yet.

Back
Top Bottom