How Many Hours of class/instructor time should a well-run DM class take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 is obviously a pre requisite otherwise your student failed their previous courses, or maybe just forgot.

...or was never asked to do them before.

My DM class was the first time I had even heard of some of the skills. When I was certified, my pool training was one session lasting about two hours in a pool that was 5 feet deep. A number of skills were simply skipped.

I assumed that all standard were followed. Of course new skills need to be teach. I use an evaluation session were I ask to do all skills with no skill lower than 3 before starting the course. If needed specific session can be plan prior to the course. In my view, the skill session during the DM aim at moving from 3 to 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DM class or IDC?

Both involve significant self-study in terms of academics.

As far as skills... the DM program is not there to "teach" demonstration quality dive skills. DMC's should be bringing those to the class with them.

I agree that a DM candidate should know how to clear a mask, recover a regulator, perform a deep water entry, etc. But I do not feel there is any expectation that they bring "demonstration quality" skills with them to a DM course. This is what they learn in the course...how to perform the skills to demonstration quality. Generally a good candidate adapts very quickly and then it is all about slowing things down.

Thanks, Interesting post. As a DMT myself starting last week, I would say that my skill set is adequate to begin the course but certainly not at demonstration level. Mask clear and reg retrieval are simple skills to master, but the last time I took my equipment off underwater was for OW. So could i demonstrate this, almost certainly not to demonstration quality.

I know from a time perspective that I have four months part time mapped out for my course, but my instructor is now also a personal friend that I have excellent rapport with and i know there will be no short cuts on my course. All the best for your course I hope you resolve these issues.

The purpose of instruction is to take a student from where he or she is in terms of skill and knowledge and to where he or she needs to be. For some classes, a certain level of expertise is needed before the student starts the class, just as a calculus class requires prerequisite skills greater than Algebra I. In such cases, those skills should be listed as a requirement for the course. For example, students cannot enroll in the PADI technical diving program unless they have completed the Deep Diver specialty. There is no such requirement for demonstration quality skills prior to the DM class. I suppose it is possible that an instructor would insist on a certain level of skill to be demonstrated before accepting a student into the program, but I have never heard of it. If a student were to sign up for a DM class with woefully deficient skills, I would note that and do what it takes to bring the student up to speed. That's my job.

agree - the DM might know how to perform the skill, but unlikely has the ability to teach it, look for problems, remediate and do a demo quality skill - that IS what the instructor is there for - to teach them how to do it.

Thank you all for the invaluable feedback. In the end, I don't feel as much like a fish out of water.

I agree that a DM candidate should know how to clear a mask, recover a regulator, perform a deep water entry, etc. But I do not feel there is any expectation that they bring "demonstration quality" skills with them to a DM course. This is what they learn in the course...how to perform the skills to demonstration quality.

As I now read the IM I see this is correct...

Dive Skills Workshop

Performance Requirement:

Demonstrate all scuba and skin diving skills, scoring at least a 3 on each skill, and scoring at least 82 points total, with at least one underwater skill to a 5.

Conduct:

• Describe for candidates the characteristics of a demonstration-quality skill, and explain that the focus is on exaggerating the critical attributes.
  • Demonstrate each skill, and have candidates practice.
  • After practice, have candidates perform each skill for a score. Remediate as necessary until candidates meet the performance requirement.

As an interesting aside, where is the "mastery" or "competency" component here? Is there a difference between "mastering" a skill to demonstration... and merely being able to do it once? A DM should be able to perform a skill at demonstration quality on command, repeatedly, without error, and without stress.

The feedback Ive had is that there are a lot of skills an experienced diver has or should have . The trouble is though that HAVING the skill and TEACHING the skill are two different things.
You have to do everything REALLY slowly and exaggerate everything you do to what you almost think is a comical extreme.
The instructor is looking at what you are doing through "students eyes" so from the point of view of a DSD diver just going in the pool
_forgive me if this advice is wrong its feedback from my instructiors filtered through my understanding.

Sorry to hear you are feeling rushed. My advice would be (if not to late) ask for a partial refund, if granted; check out your local colleges and see if they have a class. My DM class was a full 12 week semester of instruction and skill work. It should feel like an internship not a "Class" for a C Card. Hope this helps, if you are in the South Florida area please PM me and I can point you in the right direction.
-Cheers

Back
Top Bottom