How many dives to plan for in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does Blue Angel have time limits on the dives? The boat run time of 3 hours in the morning and 3 1/2 hours in the afternoon does not give much time for travel, 2 dives, and a reasonable surface interval. You said you were diving 100 cf cylinders, that could make for reasonably long dives unless they are limited by time.

My previous comment regarding O2 limit may unduly reflect my own experience with longer and deeper dives. You could do seven 1 hour dives to about 50 ft avg depth on EAN 32 and just stay under the 24 hour O2 exposure limit

Blue A kind of has a time limit on dive. They are DM lead, it is rare (when I was diving with them) to get a dive over 1 hour, most were 45 to 60 minutes. I was not diving 100Cf, and I did not see one at BA. I though SI were a little short about an hour, they would make the first dive the farest from BA and part of the SI was use coming back toward BA so trip back was quicker after last dive.

Blue A kind of has a time limit on dive. They are DM lead, it is rare (when I was diving with them) to get a dive over 1 hour, most were 45 to 60 minutes. I was not diving 100Cf, and I did not see one at BA. I though SI were a little short about an hour, they would make the first dive the farest from BA and part of the SI was use coming back toward BA so trip back was quicker after last dive.

That makes good sense given krbaily's history of up to 7 dives per 24 hr window. This would easily keep him below the O2 exposure and would be easy to stay out of deco. krbaily must use the larger tanks due to gas consumption. Personally, I dive with Aldora, and my average dive is about 75 minutes, ranging up to 90 minutes. A SI of near an hour is plenty.

Blue angel ( true dive resort ) is on the water so no travel time to the dock. . . .

Yes yes yes. I expected someone to get all indignant and point out the BA is the answer to my question of "how do you people do it?" Yes, I'm aware that BA and perhaps a couple of others are more or less what I'd call dive resorts.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

I'm a little more lazy as I have gotten older. If I want a lot of diving, I do a liveaboard or a place with a really good house reef.

I like Cozumel, but two 75 minutes dives a day with big nitrox tanks is good for me. Everyone a little different I guess.

This seems to be the mode I'm heading toward, too.

2 75 min dives using steel 120's and long dives works out to the same as 4 40 min dives on AL 80s......150min vs 160min.

I'm a little more lazy as I have gotten older. If I want a lot of diving, I do a liveaboard or a place with a really good house reef.

I like Cozumel, but two 75 minutes dives a day with big nitrox tanks is good for me. Everyone a little different I guess.

I agree. Hard hitting, intensive diving is much easier on a live-a-board. When I'm in that mood I book a live-a-board. Tried that 4 dives a day in Coz years ago. Too much work. After a 100' ft. dive and a shallow dive...I'm ready for a margarita on the beach and watching the sun set. Best place in Carib to do that. It's a total experience thing.

2 75 min dives using steel 120's and long dives works out to the same as 4 40 min dives on AL 80s......150min vs 160min.

Last series of dives with Aldora averaged 83 minutes each. We did do afternoon and night dives a couple of days but am generally with waynel on balance and relaxation.

You can request different tanks at the BA and they will try and get them for you. My husband requested steel 100's and got them. They do cost a bit more.

Blue Angel looks like a nice setup. Kind of like a landbased liveaboard or dive camp. With their 4 dives a day option and house shore dive, getting big tanks and doing extended time dives doesn't sound necessary. Sounds similar to the dive schedule at Cocoview on Roatan.

That being said, for Cozumel I like to stay in town because of all the awesome restaurants. Because of the currents, operators generally like to do group dives. A boat with a mixture of nitrox, air, heavy breathers and experienced divers is not ideal. I like Aldora because in addition to the large tanks, they have many boats and can dedicate boats to experienced nitrox divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom