How many dives does it take for one to be competent?

How many dives does it take to be competent?

• 100+

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • 200+

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • 300+

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 400+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to quantify competency in the varied environments we all dive in given the reach SB has.
I chose the max amount of dives in tbe poll as I don't think we ever stop learning, hopefully.

I think it's only important to be well experienced in the places and situations where you dive. If you only dive in one type of situation your whole life, you can be totally competent and comfortable doing so. I would want that type of OW instructor to teach me in the area where the course is, not the one with 200 dives spread all over the world.

I completely understand your disagreement and perspective. I approached the OP’s question from the viewpoint of “complete diver” or essentially a diver equipped with the fundamental knowledge and skills to adapt to a multitude of environments and conditions. Maybe @alex_can_dive can define his objectives OR maybe I shouldn’t post opinions at 3:00 in the morning!

I completely understand your disagreement and perspective. I approached the OP’s question from the viewpoint of “complete diver” or essentially a diver equipped with the fundamental knowledge and skills to adapt to a multitude of environments and conditions. Maybe @alex_can_dive can define his objectives OR maybe I shouldn’t post opinions at 3:00 in the morning!
I understand what you're saying. Think we're both right. One has to be very competent with basic skills and equipment in at least one type of dive environment in order to get that diverse experience elsewhere with a minimum of effort. Ie., you get some advice or instruction from locals and proceed with caution.

Initial comfort in the water makes a huge difference IMO. My SAC rate has been basically unchanged from my OW course. I managed to bumble my way through the Dunning-Kruger effect for the next 30 dives until I found a good mentor-type buddy (who happens to be a CMAS instructor) who pointed out what I didn't know, sorted trim etc.

I think I've been pretty competent from dive 50 and he uses me as an example of why qualifications and dive count don't determine the quality of the diver. I have done heaps of other activities in and on the ocean so I'm sure that helps!

One can be a safe and successful occasional reef diver, or a safe and successful technical cave diver. Either could be considered competent at what they're doing despite vastly different skill levels. I guess my point is that "competent" is a sliding scale, a moving benchmark as you progress to harder dives.

(edit: I decided to make this two separate posts)

I hadn't interpreted the OP's question that way, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. When does one become "equipped with the fundamental knowledge and skills to adapt to a multitude of environments and conditions"?

I think it's only important to be well experienced in the places and situations where you dive. If you only dive in one type of situation your whole life, you can be totally competent and comfortable doing so. I would want that type of OW instructor to teach me in the area where the course is, not the one with 200 dives spread all over the world.

I agree if I'd taken my training where visibility was good or great, and the water warm; I wouldn't have been well prepared to dive where I live.

I hadn't interpreted the OP's question that way, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. When does one become "equipped with the fundamental knowledge and skills to adapt to a multitude of environments and conditions"?

It appears my responses are proselytizing a “Jack of all trades” mindset, but sadly a master of none. The fundamentals I mentioned come with experience, training and a persistent desire to improve. Having a solid understanding of equipment, buoyancy, trim, planning, gasses, etc. and how they can be affected by changes in conditions, location and dive plans. Too obvious? Absolutely, but when a diver finds themselves outside of their comfort zone they should have the skill and awareness to confront the situation effectively. Holy crap, can this post be any more tedious and self righteous? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom