How many dives a day???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are headed to the Playa del Carmen area South of Cancun (again) in January. My question is this... We usually only get one day to dive, since we have our little kids with us, so we would like to maximize our bottom time. It seems that most places offer only 3 tank dives a day...

Can't we get more than that? Of course we would use our (conservative) tables and dive only our plan... but for example... last time on the reef we averaged only 40 feet and got about 52 minutes from our tanks. Given that, using our tables and SI, it looks like we could get alot of bottom time, if we can find a place that will allow us to dive that often or give us that many tanks. Is this reasonable or am I just crazy???? What would you suggest??? Thanks!!

When I was in Cozumel last January I was doing about 4 dives a day. With sufficient surface intervals there's no reason you can't do 4 dives similar to what you mention. We would do a 2 tanker starting in the morning, take the afternoon off, and do another 2 tanker in the evening/night.

You can do easily do four or more dives/day if you have the right system. Know your depths, plan your times and your SIs - sounds like you are doing this.

Contact the locals and find out what your options are for boat and shore diving.

You'll be tired, but you'll have a great time!

At that depth you could do at least 6 dives a day with a few hours SI in between, including night/dusk dives of course and starting early :wink: The most i have crammed in was 5 in a day ranging from 15 river drift to 55ft caverns with what seemed like huge SI's. I have also made 3 in a day to >100ft all safely by tables. You could keep doing 50ft dives for about 40 mins with 1 hour+ SI's all day if you wanted to "according to the tables", if i were doing more than a couple of 60ft+ dives i would probably start thinking nitrox. Just keep an eye on where you are decompression/N2 loading wise and all should be fine. A 3-tank day long set of dives is fairly common, the other option might be 2 2-tank trips, one in the AM and one in the PM if you can sort out the time in port between boats (maybe even on the same boat for both trips) for fills and such, its always possible.

Look for a place with unlimited shore diving. You won't get that deep. It will fit your schedule with the kids. And so long as you keep it reasonable in terms of depth, you have nearly unlimited time at 30' - 40' each day - you'll get cold first or run your tanks low before you'll have to worry about NDL limits.

Porta Adventrous is about 10 miles south of Playa.. Mike Madden the guy that discovered that the underground cave system linked back to ocean has a dive shop there "National Geographic Special a few years back.

He can set you up with any type of dive itenery you want. If you only have one day to dive I am sure it would be worth the cab fair down there and back. If memory serves there is even a bus you can ride down and back.

Look him up on the internet and contact them I think they will be able to help you.
They even go over to Cozumel and dive Palancar Reef every day. They can make the crossing and still get there faster then some of the slower boats that leave the South end of Cozumel.

Anyway the guy is a legend and he runs a VERY GOOD operation.

Not being too fond of the Playa area for ocean diving, I would highly suggest you check out the cenotes. Reef diving is nice but I'm sure you've done lotsa those. The cenotes are about the best anywhere. I spent years in Fla caves and still love the cenotes better. You do not have to be cave or even cavern certified to go in, although you are somewhat limited in what you can do. It is still well worth it!!! If you can sneak out 1/2 a day, your family might like the topside of the cenotes or even like to snorkel there.

I would suggest gettting a computer. I've done 5 dives a day for a 5 day stretch - its doable but you need to be careful.

I agree with Allison. I was not impressed with the reefs off Playa. The next day I went cenote diving and really enjoyed it. I did two cenotes in one day. I'm sure if you got a hold of the right operation, you could schedule 3 maybe 4 shallow cenotes in a day. You need to be comfortable in an overhead and or inclosed environment and have descent buoyancy control. The water is very clear and your guide will not take you beyond the sight of the entrance. I'm heading there at the end of February and plan to cenote dive only.

Barracuda2

Dive until you get DCS, then go one back..........

Back
Top Bottom