How many CMAS certified out there in US ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjjman - Again there is no "equivalency" to any other agency were you merely get handed a card from CMAS...

Frank
CMAS ONE

Frank,

This post must be directed at someone else. I never said anything to that effect.

Frank:

I agree with what you are saying. I am very glad to hear that you are taking on the goal of adapting the CMAS model to what will work in the USA. When I was trying to work with the different CMAS federations in the European countries in the 1980's they did not want to know anyting about our system in the USA. Even at that time it was pretty clear that the system in the USA (not just PADI but all the organizations) would eventually come to the rest of the world and take over from the amateur model.

I would love to talk to you more about what you are doing if you would like to do so. If there is any way I can help, let me know. I am always willing to support anything that can benefit modern diving and diving instruction.

Hi Frank -

I'm one of those people that has split from CMAS as an underwater hockey player. I've been on the USA National teams and coached the national team a number of times. I've traveled around Europe getting understanding of what CMAS does for the sports they control. Although I wrote a lengthy diatribe about CMAS, I stepped away ad refrained from those writings as it's not my place to denegrate an organization. But if you'd like to know, I can give you a lot more insight on why many countries have chosen to go different ways from CMAS in regards to underwater hockey. Briefly, we do not think CMAS has our best interests in mind when making decisions.

I can't say that CMAS is any better or worse than PADI or any other SCUBA organization, but I do know underwater hockey intimately.

Cheers,

Sean
Western Regional Director
USA Underwater Hockey

I am CMAS 2* and I would always prefer the CMAS certification if you look for quality and not for how fast can you get it. There must be a reason why you can't do a CMAS certification in one weekend but you can with PADI. Throw a CMAS certified beginner and a PADI beginner in a "not pool like underwater situation" and you might see the difference immediately in how they handle the situation. You can't train/teach that much in just one or 2 weekends. But what amazes me most is that you can become a dive master with just 50 dives... I met lots of those, leading a group of several beginners at a tricky dive site - was interesting to watch - and scary!!!anyway... I experienced both and I like the PADI training material and the concept (if it would require more practical training and more challenging tests) but still think it doesn't cover all a diver would need to call himself "certified" and be a reliable "safe" buddy - CMAS challenges this a lot more - but as already mentioned, who wants to invest more time, training, practice (and time is money) if you can get it with less efforts - but also less knowledge and skills about what you actually are doing and dealing with underwater .. I saw a lot of stupidity from so called certified divers no matter what certification they had - they always forget that they not only risk their life but also the life and /or health of their buddies and the dive guides as well - saying that most of the times you only get a nasty look.

If you would to join the grass roots movement here in the States or non represented Caribbean ( your country is independent not a territory of a European government) please drop me an email frank@cmasamericas.com use the title line - Grass Roots CA.

Mostly out of curiosity, why does the "non represented Caribbean" country have to be "independent not a territory of a European government" for you to be interested?

Because if the are not they are already represented to CMAS by a national federation.

To be a member of the Underwater Society of Amercia, is one required to have a CMAS C-Card?
Divers that have NAUI, PADI, SSI, SDI, etc, cards can't join in?

No, membership in U.S.A. is open to divers from all agencies. The U.S.A. is a dues supported membership organization. Dues currently are $15/year. Membership is open to ALL divers. Link.

I might have missed the answer, though not sure it actually got answered...

How many CMAS certified divers are there?

CMAS 1* going for 2* in October in Croatia

Back
Top Bottom