How long will an Analox EII sensor last if hardly ever used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I got mine at DEMA Houston, 2004 maybe? Hardly ever use it, but take it on every trip in case I decide to dive Nitrox and and they don't use an Analox analyzer. Last week for example, I did, and didn't, but the group leader had his Analox EII so I used his.

To give you an idea of how little use it's had, the original battery just recently went low. I see that they are expected to last a year or so. Compared to that, when should I think about a sensor? I've read to not buy one until needed, but then - if it stops on a trip, I'm grounded.

I do keep the Saver plugged in and the whole thing in the Pelican box so it's quite pampered.
thanks! :thumb:

I bought a couple O2 sensors two years ago. One is going strong even though it is exposed to air 24/7. The one I keep in my dive kit is completely sealed with a screw on cover over the sensor yet it died this year. Expected life is one year. Anything more and just consider it luck. They can be purchased fairly cheaply off the internet.

I was told 2years is safe.

I probly ought to accept that I got my money's worth out of this one and replace it, but - from Peter's story, what if the one I have is better than the one I get?

"A Typical lifespan for an oxygen sensor is 1-2 years."
Rimbach Publishing - Industrial Hygiene News - Articles

Anything over one year is acceptable from everything I have heard and read. We use them for smog machines here in California. Since they are exposed to lots of moisture, they rarely last much over a year.

Even in the sealed package they are burning up, which is why they have a shelf life.

Dear Divers,

Patti here with Analox Sensor Technology. As usual, good questions and responses all around. This is a great subject and a key issue that sets Analox apart from other Nitrox and Trimix analyzers. First of all, there are two consumables in every O2 analyzer: the battery and the oxygen sensor. Both of these are technically fuel cells, and both of which are depleting from the date of manufacture. Sealing the sensor from oxygen exposure will indeed slow the aging process, however it will not completely stop it. Much like a brand new sealed battery, time will eventually deplete the oxygen sensor whether it is used or sitting on the store shelf. Now the good news: Analox is the only manufacturer who offer a three year graded warranty on all of our diving oxygen sensors. What this means to you is real value for your money. If you have any questions about Analox analyzers you can always call me at 877 SAFE AIR (723-3247) or simply post to ScubaBoard (Here, you'll actually catch me even while on vacation :D!).

I always like to see a response from manufacturers supporting their products. Even better when they come back with an unreal 3 year warranty on a consumable!

Thanks! ScubaToys did not have it listed on site, but they do carry it. I'll be getting one from them and hope I do better with replacing it than the last dive computer battery I replaced. Well, they're both insured, this gadget won't be going in the water with me, and I got a check on the puter in less than a week so all is good.

DD, I too have the sensor cap and keep it on when it is not in use. My analox is going strong after 4 years. The sensor is nearing the end of it's life here soon. I figure once it is completely dead and I have dive trip planned where I will need it I will order another.

Back
Top Bottom