How long should I wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dewit2it

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting over a lung infection where I was coughing up small amounts of blood mixed with phlem. I did see a doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. The doctor said it was bronchitus and not pneumonia. I'd like to at least start freediving once the coughing is over, but I don't know how long I should wait before using scuba again.

Sounds as though you had a fairly severe case of bronchitis. I'd make a follow-up appointment with the doctor, and make sure your breath sounds are clear before diving.

I'm just getting over a lung infection where I was coughing up small amounts of blood mixed with phlem. I did see a doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. The doctor said it was bronchitus and not pneumonia. I'd like to at least start freediving once the coughing is over, but I don't know how long I should wait before using scuba again.

Hi Dewit,

Ditto TSandM.

I'd also mention that even free-diving is not without risk given your description. For example, the free diver coming off a serious case of bronchitis still could be courting lung over-expansion injury, aggravation of the condition by saltwater aspiration or the like.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I'd hold off until your cough is well controlled; esp., no coughing fits. The airways tend to remain irritable for awhile even though the bronchitis has cleared up. Very dry and cold scuba gas can be an irritant which may provoke an inflammatory reaction, including excess mucus production and airway swelling. A single cough or two might not be a problem, but if it deteriorates into a spasm/fit of coughs this may lead to gasping, dizziness (respiratory alkalosis) or much worse, accidental inhalation of water or coughed-up mucus or even vomitus.

Last edited:
The mucus has now turned from yellow to white, and is much thinner and comming up easier. I'm also not feeling or hearing the bubbling sensations that I had. I figure I'll be coughing for 2-3 weeks yet, so it'll be at least that long before I get in the water again.

I've found that the more I dive, the less problems I have with my lungs from colds, ect. Last year I couldn't do much diving, and this is what I get. Now if Lake Winnebago were only deep, clear, and warm all year!

Back
Top Bottom