How long it takes for ear fullness to go away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am and have been a big fan of homemade ear beer for years. 1/2 VINEGAR 1/2 RUBBING ALCOHOL. I put it in before a dive to kill anything already in the ear canal so the pressure doesnt push it in farther, and then always after each dive. When I get home I add it to an ear and lay on my side watching TV usually for 5 minutes, then switch ears and repeat. Its a good idea to use an ear wax removale solution with a bulb of warm water to wash it out before starting your dive season. Then earbeer from there. I have no medical experience but have plenty of dives and it is a useful and cheap aid in earcare.

littlecloudsky, it's important to understand the difference between barotrauma, which involves the middle or even inner ear, and otitis externa, which involves the external ear canal. The causes, and treatments of the two conditions are quite different, as is the potential severity and impact on your hearing. HERE is an essay I wrote in an attempt to explain ear problems in divers a little bit better; I hope it is helpful.

I am and have been a big fan of homemade ear beer for years. 1/2 VINEGAR 1/2 RUBBING ALCOHOL. I put it in before a dive to kill anything already in the ear canal...

Hi stairman,

The alcohol in "ear beer" serves as a drying agent; the vinegar turns the pH within the canal in the acidic direction, making the environment less conducive to the growth of offending microorganisms. For this reason, they may be useful in preventing infection in the canal when used after a dive. Used before a dive, the solution will be quickly washed out upon submersion, thus doing very little good. Moreover, neither the diluted vinegar nor alcohol in ear drops will "kill" much of anything on simple contact.

BTW, if you're looking for pre-dive drops to help prevent otits externa a much better bet is mineral oil or lanolin, which provide a protective barrier that isn't readily washed out.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom