How long is it safe to store a steel tank empty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at a couple used steel tanks. They are in hydro, but he was thinking they would be easier to sell with yoke valves so last week he emptied one. Then realized the cost of valves and abandoned that. So one still has air, but one is empty for a week. It will take me a week to get the valves I want for it.

Should I avoid it due to rust concerns because it's sat empty for a week? If not, is it safe to store it empty for another week before I can get it vis inspected and refilled?

Thanks

Have a look inside, put the old valve back on and put a couple hundred PSI in it. It might be ok to leave empty in certain conditions for a week - clean space, plugged, very dry environment. It might also not be ok if there is any chance of something getting in them or if the humidity is very high and the start to rust.

Shine a light inside. Unless you live in a really humid area I believe you will be fine.

You should be fine! I got a steel tank that was part of a group of tanks that were for sale. When I drained what little air was left in it and removed that valve, a pile of rust and a lot of water came out when I turned it upside down. I had it tumbled and hydro tested, to my surprise it passed. If it is not badly rusted inside you should have no problems.

As long as there is no moisture, a steel tank can be stored indefinitely.

Even if there is a little bit of rust (which is unlikely unless it's sitting on a salt water dock or something) it's no big deal to clean up surface rust inside a tank.

A piece of tape over the top can keep crap out.

I was diving with a 1958 manufactured steel cylinder just 10 days ago. This specific tank was stored empty for at least 5 years prior to my acquiring it. I had it tumbled and it passed hydro following my purchasing it. No problem to date with using it, and I've owned it for nine years.

It would take extreme conditions to ruin a tank in a week. As long as it is not excessive, rust can be tumbled out. Look inside with a flashlight or the light on your phone, it shouldn't look flaky inside. Just be advised that the cost of hydro, tumbling, and a new valve add up and affect the value when buying. A great deal quickly can turn into spending almost as much as just buying new.

Indefinitely. Unless stored in a corrosive environment, sitting unvalved won't have any effect on the tank's integrity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom