How long do they last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm far from an expert when it comes to CD's but I am an Information Technology Director for a software company and as such have a fair amount of experience with CD's used for both product distribution and for archive purposes. Let me share some observations:

Quality of CD-R's: A few years ago this was a major issue. The lower priced (lower quality) CD's that you could buy in bulk were just plain bad. Today CD quality is much more consistent across the spectrum of CD-R's that are available. IMHO I don't see a need for buying the supposed "high quality" CD-R's. However I still would stay away from the "budget" CD-R's

At work we use Verbatim CD-R's with a whilte printable surface for product distribution. Because of the volume discounts we get on these we also use the "printable" CD-R's for general purposes.

Also let me say that I have never seen a CD-R failure that resulted in lost data (we burn about 20,000 CD-R's per year). Although being the anal information technology guy I am, I always make two copies of anything important (especially my pictures).

CD-RW's: These fall into two categories. The first being CD-RW's used regularly for large system backups and offline or nearline storage. These run several dollars per CD-RW and must be rotated out of service as they do have a limited reliable lifetime (like a tape or any other media). The second category of CD-RW's is those used by consumers. Again, IMHO...I would not rely on these for storage of photos. I have seen way too many of these become unreadable and need to be re-formatted after many writes and re-writes.

Unfortunatley I don't have much to share on DVD's. We are just getting into using them for product distribution and some specific backup applications.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom