How Long Do I Have to Wait After Lasik?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keruxts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had the lasik procedure three weeks ago and need to know how long I have to wait until I dive to any depth. I did a little diving last week (don't tell my doc) but it was in a river and only to about 10' practicing with our dive team. I have had two docs give me two different answers - one said two weeks and the other said a month.

Any answers, thoughts, horror stories....let me have um.

You should ask the doctor that did the procedure. My doctor said that I could dive after 30 days. I waited more like four months to be safe.

When I had the procedure done, my surgeon recommended staying out for 3-4 weeks. He said that his primary concern was the possibility of infection due to water getting in my eyes, not the pressure associated with depth.

Brian

You should ask the doctor that did the procedure. My doctor said that I could dive after 30 days. I waited more like four months to be safe.

I had mine done at TLC - apparently the "big box store" of Lasik. The doc that did the procedure (they fly him in like some sort of ophthalmological rock star)isn't the one who did the initial screening or any of the follow-ups. From one doc I heard two weeks from the other four weeks. From one doc I heard the risk of infection issue from the other "pressure issues." That's why I was wondering how people on this board have handled it.

I waited until I had my 6 week follow-up (some I think have a 1 month follow-up), at which point I got the green light from my doctor.

Why rush it? It's your eyes. Not worth the risk.

I think most people are being told 4-6 weeks, and to "take things slow" for up to three months.

I was told 6 weeks for water activities. I went back in the pool right at six weeks, no problemo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom